Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 21, 2012March 21st, 2012, 6:24 pm EDT
Hello, troutnuts. Casting for Recovery is trying to win a voting challenge on the site below. This is an organization that provides no-cost flyfishing retreats to breast cancer survivors as a way to promote physical and emotional healing. CFR is currently in 6th place. If they can reach 3rd place by May 15th, when the voting ends, they will receive $50,000. You may vote for them every day by 3 different media. This Friday, 3/23, each vote for them counts 10x more than usual. So get the word out and at least vote on Friday. You can sign in using a Facebook or Twitter account.

http://www.pinkwell.org/voting/

Thanks,
Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Mar 21, 2012March 21st, 2012, 6:52 pm EDT
and if you don't do facebook or twitter, you can just sign up with an ordinary e-mail account!

thank you Shawn for bringing this up. hope to see the numbers jump. we Casting for Recovery volunteers are facing rising costs and more fund-raising challenges and sure could use every vote you can manage.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 22, 2012March 22nd, 2012, 9:22 am EDT
Shawn/Casey...Done.

I have a post-it on my desk here for tomorrow...Since I admitted to the post-it and not a pop-up on my Outlook you can imagine I had to do it via the "old" email route...No face on Facebook and I'm not a Twit...Tony might say otherwise since he's had to endure my carrying on about the best hockey team of the modern era, the Detroit Red Wings...;) At least it wasn't by carrier-pigeon...:)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Mar 22, 2012March 22nd, 2012, 5:46 pm EDT
the post-it is on the calendar over the desk. what did we do before post-its? oh, yeah. we wrote on the calendar itself!

thanks, Spence!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Mar 23, 2012March 23rd, 2012, 8:20 am EDT
I just voted . Great organization.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 23, 2012March 23rd, 2012, 10:53 am EDT
I've voted, and will continue to until the deadline. Thanks, Shawn.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 24, 2012March 24th, 2012, 10:01 am EDT
VOTED FOR IT!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 24, 2012March 24th, 2012, 7:00 pm EDT
Hey Shawnny. Looks like you started something...Meine Frau jetzt gerade auch an der Abstimmung teilgenommen! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply