Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Pryal74 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
First Steelhead of 2011.
Gorgeous red buck.
I remember this morning... waking up at 4:30 to get there at sun up to find the unspooked fish and throwing them single egg pattern with no indicator.  Talk about waking you up! So much fun!
Taking turns between net man and fly rod wielder equaled in excitement value on this small stream.  So much deadhead, downed or overhanging trees, logs etc.  Maybe one of the funnest 6 am trips ever.
Giant hen.
Client Tony P. with a beautiful buck.
So ugly... he's beautiful.
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 5:54 pm EST
..Tony and I are old denizens of pick-up hockey locker rooms and that's actually a sign he gives-a-damn. :)

Spence

I do give a damn, and if you don't believe me, Spence, the next time that I catch you coming off of the left wing board, I'll find a spot on my right elbow for your nose...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 2:14 am EST
Wow;

Those are some of the coolest pics I've ever seen!! Makes me wish I had been there!!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 2:25 am EST
Adirman,

"Makes me wish I had been there!!"

You can catch steelhead just as big if you drive up to the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY. Just jump on the Quickway, head west to Binghamton, then north on I-81 to Pulaski. You could be there in about 3 1/2 hours.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 2:56 pm EST
Spence, mind if I take this shift? >=) I don't mind tossing down the mitts. DCMHL all time pim's leader can strike again. Hopefully I can get some more Steelie photos here in Feb. Temperatures actually haven't been stable, but not too cold either. Late Feb and March they go bananas for egg patterns and stone fly nymphs.
Bowmandjk
erie,penna

Bowmandjk on Jan 29, 2012January 29th, 2012, 8:34 am EST
I live on these pa tribs and this winter has been so mild,creeks are open and fish are scattered thru out them. This week they are calling for 40s on tuesday and wednesday so should be great days
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 29, 2012January 29th, 2012, 2:43 pm EST
@bowmandjk Do you regularly fish for winter chrome? Very few places you can actually do it here because of the freeze. I usually wait until early to mid Feb to hit it hard again. A few of our main rivers hold fish almost all year. Anytime the temperatures are in the 40's or high 30's and stable, the Steelies and Browns really start to actively feed.

Quick Reply