Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Pryal74 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
Another beautiful shot.
Frank releasing a fantastic brownie.
24 1/8"  My biggest river resident Brown Trout to date.  11:15 pm.
Megan M. with her first ever Brown.
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 5:28 am EST
Here are some photos of Brown Trout caught during the summer of 2011.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 6:43 am EST
Looks like you had a fantastic year! Would you be inclined to tell us where you are or if not publicly could you send me a private message?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 6:47 am EST
Some very pretty fish there! Nice pictures.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 7:16 am EST
Just curious; take a look at pictures 4 & 5 which are most telling. I’ve noticed this hundreds of times. Does anyone else see what I see?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Pryal74
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 8:57 am EST
Thanks guys and yeah ALWAYS in the corner of the mouth. Oh, also I could only post twenty photos. I have so much more.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 9:20 am EST
Well you've punished us enough on this winter day! Save some for another post.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 9:58 am EST
ALWAYS in the corner of the mouth.

James, if this is in reference to my question, this is not what I’m referring to. I’m not trying to make a game out of this, but if I’m the only one noticing this maybe there is nothing too it. A clue would be in the fish’s sense of feeling.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:14 am EST
Falsifly, are you referring to the direction the fish's eyes are pointed?
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:23 am EST
Falsifly, are you referring to the direction the fish's eyes are pointed?

Yes paul. What, if anything, do you make of it.
Falsifly
Pryal74
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:27 am EST
That's an interesting observation. I wonder if anyone would have any insight on why that is? Gravity? Or something in relation to it, like pressure from the water or a lack of?
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:32 am EST
Notice also that there appears to be tension on the tippet.
Falsifly
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:40 am EST
Lotsa weird ideas out there. My favorite was a bass fishing "personality" (perfect description) who claimed you could tell whether "the bass were feeding up or down" by their expression. Egads!

Anyway, I do not know what is happening exactly, but it has nothing to do with the hook. I'm not certain, but believe fish I've handled that were not hooked, from say nets, also could show that. (EDIT: OK, I Googled trap netted fish and found a pic of a large bluegill just removed from a trap-net and it too had the downward wrenched eye.)

It's physiological, having something to do with being out of the water, but it's not pain related.

I always thought it had to do with being in some kind of shock, for lack of better. James' thought about a reaction to gravity, as fish ARE generally weightless suspended in water, is interesting. Or possibly it has something to do with trying to focus out of water, as fish lens shape is evolved to focus underwater.
Pryal74
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:45 am EST
My father has a degree as an Ichthyologist... but then I would have to call him and ask haha! We could start a pool and make bets? I'm going to stay with my original guess having to do with gravity or pressure, but the focus theory is also a great thought.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:57 am EST
Maybe they're just trying to see the traitorous fraud in their face that's causing them such grief... As if to say, "What the hell is going on here?":)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Pryal74
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jan 18, 2012January 18th, 2012, 10:58 am EST
I changed my mind, I like Entoman's theory the best.
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 19, 2012January 19th, 2012, 6:54 am EST
Whatever it is or is not, those are some great pictures James.
Falsifly
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jan 20, 2012January 20th, 2012, 6:11 am EST
Nice shots brother i love seeing pictures and beautiful fish!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply