Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 9:02 am EDT
No, but I certainly know of him. Yes, I have read his works. Though primarily formed in the unique circumstances of the Kamloops region, his methods are very similar to those worked out in many regions of the West where the stillwaters rich in aquatic invertebrate fauna are similar. Anyone looking to improve their stillwater skills would benefit from studying and then practicing the techniques he promotes. In many parts of the East a different tradition exists due to the somewhat more piscivorous habits of the trout, but even there they can be applied with success in the right circumstances.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Bug_slinger
Bug_slinger's profile picture
Calgary, Alberta

Bug_slinger on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 1:44 pm EDT

I couldn't agree more Entoman. I was wondering if you could give me advice on employing the hopper dropper system or anyone else in this forum, as I come from a place that bans the use of multi rigs. Ridiculous I know.i have done some reading about it. Anyones personal insight would be appreciated.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 26, 2012March 26th, 2012, 2:53 pm EDT
Start a new thread.

Quick Reply