Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionCentral Utah
Fish CaughtBonneville Cutthroat
Conditions & HatchesEarly November

Details and Discussion

BigTrout
BigTrout's profile picture
BigTrout on Nov 6, 2011November 6th, 2011, 9:28 am EST
I went out this early November to go after some Bonneville Cuthroat Trout that is located not far from my families cabin on top of the mountain that sits at around 10,000 Feet. I fished a small head water that has strictly cuthroat in it and the lake I float tubed that has only Bonneville cuts in it. I had a great time even though it was pretty chilly out.. I got to the creek a little too late this year where it started to get some ice on it but still managed to get the little one! It had magnificent colors on it and I look forward to fishing the creek next year with more success!

The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Nov 6, 2011November 6th, 2011, 12:42 pm EST
Very beautiful fish, thanks for posting! I love native cutties.

I don't believe that many people would think to fish in the neighborhood of 10,000 feet this time of year. I bet it was a little chilly up there!

"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 6, 2011November 6th, 2011, 1:35 pm EST
Nice fish! I am also trying to push my trout-flyfishing season as late as I can. What did you get these fish on?

Stay warm and keep fishing!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
BigTrout
BigTrout's profile picture
BigTrout on Nov 6, 2011November 6th, 2011, 9:15 pm EST
This creek is definetly a place I want to fly fish in the late summer after all the High water gets off the mountain.

I really like fishing mountain streams because the water is so clear, the fish so pretty and native and they generally don't get fished that much from where I am from.

Jmd, In the lake I like to use a double renegade, and in the stream I was using a smaller black wooley bugger with a marbou tail. kinda a smaller one so that those smaller cuts can get their mouth on it.

The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 7, 2011November 7th, 2011, 4:53 am EST
I thought that looked like a Woolly Bugger - one of my all-time favorites. I'll have to try those Renegade/Double Renegade patterns around these parts (northern lower Michigan) to see how they work. Again, nice fish and sounds like nice territory to fish for them!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Nov 7, 2011November 7th, 2011, 3:16 pm EST
Cool stuff!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply