Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 11 pictures. The message is below.
Big fat hybrid sunfish (pumpkinseed x green) from Clark's Marsh - on a #10 Joe's Hopper
LATE black-eyed Susan
Cooke Pond Shoreline
It waits...
11" perch on a #10 yellow-and-gold KBF
The lower Au Sable
Burning bushes in front of my house
Parasol mushroom (Lepiota procera)
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 11, 2011October 11th, 2011, 11:08 am EDT
The Autumn season is upon us here in northern lower MI, but you wouldn't know it from the Summer-like temperatures! Or the continued presence of biting insects...but Old Man Winter isn't too far away now so we have to enjoy fall while it's here. So I have posted a few shots from my local adventures, including a few fishing holes, for you all to enjoy.

Okay, I know, I know...WHERE'S THE FREAKING SALMON??? I'm working on it, guys...and the big perch came from a lake that has rainbows in it, but the 'bows were just little dinkers, 6-8" and not really worthy of photography. I'll be back there soon, though, and if that hoped-for 15-incher makes it into the net, you'll see it on here.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 11, 2011October 11th, 2011, 12:34 pm EDT
Nice stuff Jonathon! It looks like we might have waited too long for our trip north! It appears to be peaking up your way.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 8:34 am EDT
Very nice, Jonathan.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Oct 13, 2011October 13th, 2011, 8:40 am EDT
Very nice pictures of a very pretty pond. I too have been getting out quite a bit, enjoying the fall colors and the last good warm-water fishing of the year. I love October, I think it's easily the best month of the year!
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply