Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 26, 2006September 26th, 2006, 6:43 am EDT
I just found this story on CNN:

MILFORD, New Hampshire (AP) -- A teddy bear has been implicated in 2,500 deaths -- trout deaths, that is.

State officials say a teddy bear that fell into a pool at a Fish and Game Department hatchery earlier this month clogged a drain. The clog blocked the flow of oxygen to the pool and suffocated the fish.

Hatcheries supervisor Robert Fawcett said the bear, dressed in yellow raincoat and hat, is believed to be the first stuffed toy to cause fatalities at the facility.

"We've had pipes get clogged, but it's usually with more naturally occurring things like a frog or even a dead muskrat," he said. "This one turned out to be a teddy bear and we don't know how it got there."

The deaths prompted Fawcett to release a written warning: "RELEASE OF ANY TEDDY BEARS into the fish hatchery water IS NOT PERMITTED."

He said it's not known who dropped the bear, but urged anyone whose bear ends up in a hatchery pool to find a worker to remove it. "They might save your teddy bear, and keep it from becoming a killer," he said.

Ah, well. At least they're just hatchery fish. Think of the money they'll save on food pellets.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Barrows
Barrows on Oct 21, 2006October 21st, 2006, 9:35 am EDT
WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT THAT THE TRUE PREDATOR OF RAINBOW WAS PADDINGTON! THIS IS AN ATROCITY.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 21, 2006October 21st, 2006, 1:40 pm EDT
PLEASE DON'T BLAME THE BEAR! I'm sure that when he found himself trapped inside the hatchery grounds, he decided to do the honorable thing and committed suicide by drowning rather than being forced to dine on foul-tasting pellet-fed trout. I, for one, applaud his noble decision!
Fly_Tyier
Iowa

Fly_Tyier on Jan 7, 2007January 7th, 2007, 2:39 pm EST
The teddy bear is a mass muderer! Everyone to the shelters quickly!

Quick Reply