Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jesse has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 15, 2011April 15th, 2011, 2:14 am EDT
Tactical fishing for these beautiful fish on a beautiful river with the the fly rod, what more can a person ask for ha!?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Apr 15, 2011April 15th, 2011, 5:06 am EDT
Absolutely gorgeous looking water - I'm jealous! :-)
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 15, 2011April 15th, 2011, 7:16 am EDT
YEAH JESSE!!!! Nice fat fish and beautiful waters - what more could you ask for??? What flies did you use? And where is that (roughly - you don't have to reveal the exact location...)?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 15, 2011April 15th, 2011, 3:07 pm EDT
Wow, that's some of the prettiest smallie water I've ever seen. Nice fish, too!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 18, 2011April 18th, 2011, 2:05 am EDT
Thanks guys and Jonathon i caught those fish on some olive and purple red-eyed clousers that i tied up the night before. Some crystal flash throught the middle. The water was somewhere in Georgia... And yes its some of the most beautiful water ive seen for a small mouth stream. The water's so clear and cold now, i was surprised to find no signs of trout. I pulled out some really pretty, hefty sun fish there as well.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 18, 2011April 18th, 2011, 3:46 pm EDT
Now I'm curious about the sunnies too. How big, and were they redbreast sunfish? They like that fast water too. I caught a lot of them in GA and also in Texas in the San Marcos River, also in pretty fast waters (pretty and fast!). They seem to be the most adapted of all the sunfish species to swifter streams. They sure are pretty too, all blue and orange, and they can put up a good fight on a fly rod! Sometimes I miss them up here in the north country...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Eastwood
the boogie

Eastwood on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 7:54 am EDT
holy jeebus spring hath sprung! when will the topwater frog action begin? what color backing do you use? someone should start making flavored corks
wouldyawannabangerout?
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 7:55 am EDT
Jonathon yes i believe that they are redbreast sunfish. My buddy has some good pictures of them that i will try to get and put up for you to take a look at!
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 8:13 am EDT
Chea Storm!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 9:49 am EDT
Eastwood's photo is indeed a redbreast. You can't miss the extra-long "ear". Sure are "purdy" too! Hang an 8- to 10-incher on a 3-5 weight and watch it bend over!

Jonathon

Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Apr 21, 2011April 21st, 2011, 3:30 pm EDT
Thanks for the pictures. What a beautiful stream, and the fish are real nice too. I love Ozark rivers with there deep bends and fast riffles, but sometimes I wish we had streams that looked like that.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 28, 2011April 28th, 2011, 6:02 am EDT
Wow! Now that's fun fishing. In my mind, stream smallies vie for one of the top spots in all fishing for quality and satisfaction. Thanks for bringing it to my desktop.
Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Apr 30, 2011April 30th, 2011, 3:31 am EDT
Yes, very good. Never caught any THAT big before. It's on my bucket list. Well done!!!!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 30, 2011April 30th, 2011, 5:18 am EDT
Hey Thanks guys i appreciate that! Its been great whenever the rain decides to give us a break..

Quick Reply