Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Apr 1, 2011April 1st, 2011, 4:50 am EDT
I think they are spinx moth catapillars and they like catapala trees. Any way the bait dunkers swear by them.

Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Apr 1, 2011April 1st, 2011, 1:08 pm EDT
They kind of look like huge caddis larva. Gotta love an easy tie that works.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 1, 2011April 1st, 2011, 1:58 pm EDT
Gillies and bass - I LOVE 'EM!! Two of the most underrated fly rod fishing opportunities out there.

I think you are correct in that they are sphinx moth caterpillars, family Sphingidae. Your imitations do a fine job of replicating those little upturned "horns" on their tails!

Fred, you do some pretty darned nice flies!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Apr 1, 2011April 1st, 2011, 2:46 pm EDT
Thanks Aaron and Jonathon . I found a few hundred Eagle Claw hooks size #4 for .50 a hundred and tried to come up with some patterns for them. They don't scare the fish ... but it was'nt a true test. I think they would have eaten a bare hook yesterday.Thanks again for the wonderful comments,Fred
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 1, 2011April 1st, 2011, 3:32 pm EDT
Let's see some more of those warm-water fish, Fred!

Have you ever hooked a gar? Back in February of 2005, while living in San Marcos, TX, I somehow managed to tie into a spotted gar in the 20" range in the San Marcos River one night on an Elkhair Caddis. GEEEEZ, what a fight!!! My reel was screaming and I had no idea what I had on, I thought it was a big fat bass or a big fat tilapia (saw them in there while snorkeling). Then I finally saw what it was after I wore it out (a good 10-15 minutes of struggle), and I couldn't get it up on shore because it cut the leader with it's teeth...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 2, 2011April 2nd, 2011, 6:48 am EDT
Very pretty flies, Fred. The look like they'd fish well, too.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 3, 2011April 3rd, 2011, 6:42 am EDT
As a boy, I'd shinny up catalpa trees for my dad to pick the catalpa "worms" as he called them. He knew all kinds of places to gather bait--in weeds with galls (he called them weed worms), "glowworms" in little springs (perhaps cranefly larva?? I don't know--they were about the size of the catalpa worms or a grub). We'd catch bluegills and black perch (what the Yankees up here call redeyes or rock bass) along with a smallmouth bass or two. Fred, your flies bring back some long ago memories for me.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 3, 2011April 3rd, 2011, 11:32 am EDT
"Black perch" - that's one I've never heard before! Here in MI they're rock bass or sometimes "goggleye". Take flies readily, streamers & Woolly Buggers and even an occasional dry, but don't put up that much of a fight. Unless they're in a good current and turn sideways...

Jonathon
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 3, 2011April 3rd, 2011, 1:28 pm EDT
Very fun!
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on Apr 4, 2011April 4th, 2011, 5:58 am EDT
Thanks guys. With fly fishing being the exception and not the rule in this part of the country , I have often looked to the bait fisherman or lure casters to see what to try an imitate in fly tying. I'll be adding this pattern to my spring tying list in different sizes.
Fred
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 4, 2011April 4th, 2011, 7:37 am EDT
Fred, I have also taken inspiration from the hardware throwers. I came up with a silver & blue Woolly Bugger based upon the silver & blue Little Cleo spoon, which is a deadly lure and so is the flyrod equivalent (especially for black crappie, also bluegills and rock bass). An older pattern called the Feather Eel is called in one book "fly fishing's answer to the rubber worm". And last summer I tied a big saddle-hackle pike streamer in "fire tiger" like a Rapala: dark green, chartreuse, and orange. Gotta throw that last one on Tawas Bay - if it ever gets warm enough around here!!!

Jonathon

Quick Reply