Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Benjlan
Benjlan's profile picture
Cedar Rapids lowa

Benjlan on Feb 5, 2011February 5th, 2011, 1:25 pm EST
Hey Yall,

I've been reading trout unlimited, watching fly fishing shows, reading fly fishing mags, and reading books here lately. I don't understand. When did it become not ok to keep a couple for the table?

Here is my back round, born and raised in small town Iowa, started fishing with Dad before I can remember, Started fly fishing age 29, I have a real love for nature, and can not stand the taste of fish.

My question is for those that do like to eat fish, why not? It seems the DNR has a handle on the conservation part, if the stream cannot handle the harvest, limits and restrictions have been put in place. Why not keep one now and then? In nature there are predators and if I'm not mistaken humans would be top of the food chain.

In Iowa we have a stocking program. The rainbows are put there to catch. The only native species we have are the Brook. If we were truly worried about the natives why are we introducing species that compete directly with the natives?

Please do not take this the wrong way, I'm glad we have the other species. I just don't think there is anything wrong for a fish eater to take a couple home for the table.

I would enjoy hearing feed back from my peers, the people that I value talking to on this site . Am I way off on my thinking or are we becoming holier than thou on this topic.

I will finish by saying I am not anti-conservation but I just don't understand the 100% release philosophy being jammed down our throats.

Ben

Quick Reply