Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bippie
Altoona, PA

Bippie on Dec 19, 2010December 19th, 2010, 1:46 pm EST
If you're going to be a real purist then you shouldn't eat eggs either!! But if you eat eggs you shouldn't deny the trout theirs.... even if it is a fake! ;-)
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Dec 19, 2010December 19th, 2010, 11:05 pm EST
Haha! Good one Bippie!
As a matter of fact I dont eat eggs, I´m a vegetarian.
I dont mind trout eating them, altough I wont disturb them while theyre at it.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 20, 2010December 20th, 2010, 3:07 pm EST
There is really no "right" or "wrong" to any of these questions about eggs, San Juan worms, or any other less than traditional "fly" pattern. If the state you are fishing in allows that type of "fly" and it meets all the criteria to be a legal offering than it is of no consequence what some other guy's opinion is does it? If it bothers you that someone might find your use of an egg fly as unethical (or add whatever negative comment you choose) then just don't use that type of "fly".

Personally I would never use an egg fly on the trout waters that I fish but I wouldn't look down my nose at someone who did. However when it comes to steelhead fishing I use not only egg flies like Glo-bugs, Blood Dots, Krystal Meth, but will really go over to the Dark side and peg an egg.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply