Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Sep 6, 2010September 6th, 2010, 12:33 am EDT
Hey! I was on a small stream yesterday and observed a bunch of these bugs, had long legs and looked like size was about #10-12, skittering acroos the surface of the water. Fish basically ignored them from what I could see and they stayed mostly around the edges. are these water boatmen?

Thanks,
Adirman
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 6, 2010September 6th, 2010, 4:54 am EDT
Hello Adirman,

No, those aren't water boatmen. They are water skaters. Both are aquatic true bugs, but in different families. To more easily visualize this, you might want to access Waterbug Taxonomic Structure
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Sep 7, 2010September 7th, 2010, 11:51 am EDT
Taxon;

thanks for your post. another question perhaps you can answer;are these water skaters important to trout or not so much? Seemed to me they were ignoring them the other day! I also saw this several yrs ago on the mongaup river a trib of the maiin stem delaware.

Thanks,

Adirman
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 7, 2010September 7th, 2010, 12:03 pm EDT
Adirman-

Yes, trout generally ignore water skaters. The most common reason given is that they are foul-tasting. However, another reason may be that water skaters are so adept at avoiding a trout's rise that trout learn not to waste their time chasing them.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply