Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 837

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 838

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 839

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 81

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 82

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 83
MT319 has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
12in stockie for color comparison
11in Wild Brown
Little Wild Brown
Mini-Waterfall pool
12in Native Brookie
13in Native brookie
MT319
NY

MT319 on Jul 19, 2010July 19th, 2010, 2:17 pm EDT
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 19, 2010July 19th, 2010, 6:07 pm EDT
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE BROOKIE!!!!!! I finally exceeded the 10-inch limit myself with an 11-incher this summer, in the very same waters I learned to flyfish for trout in 25 years ago. They are the precious gemstones of the trout world.

Also, nice comparison between the wild-bred brownies and the stockers...I prefer the former EVERY time!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Aug 14, 2010August 14th, 2010, 5:41 am EDT
Nice pictures man its always good to see how things are going in the wild world of wild fish!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 15, 2010August 15th, 2010, 1:33 pm EDT
Nice fish and photos, MT319. Congrats on the fish and thanks for sharing.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Aug 16, 2010August 16th, 2010, 3:31 am EDT
Beautiful fish and beautiful stream- I haven't been fishing in a bit and needed something to put me back in the mood! Thanks
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Aug 16, 2010August 16th, 2010, 5:54 am EDT
That waterfall pool looks like a wonderful place to waste a few hours. It kind of reminds me of a stream I fished years ago in the UP here in MI. I hate to admit that I was out fished then by my uncle who, with spinning gear, kept tossing a glob of worms in to the whirl-pools only to have a little brook hit it. I still have to listen to it at family reunions, "There was Spence with this fancy rod & reel and all these dangly things hanging from his vest crammed with flies and this old farm boy took him to school that day in the creek!" That isn't pronounced creek but cur-rick...

If I ate fish I think I would of taken the stockie home to a frying pan and left them wild ones to continue on the strain.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MT319
NY

MT319 on Sep 4, 2010September 4th, 2010, 6:11 pm EDT
Thanks I totally forgot I even posted this on here...went up a couple days ago to fish one of the Neversink tributaries got a couple wild browns biggest one 13 inches and another big 12 inch brookie all decked out in it's fall spawning colors so i'll try and remember to post those as well whenever I get the photos developed
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Sep 14, 2010September 14th, 2010, 9:44 am EDT
those are some beautiful photos. What a gorgeous stream too. Those browns look exactly like the Browns we have here in the Escanaba River here in MI. Love the rock background.

Quick Reply