Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 5, 2010June 5th, 2010, 4:30 pm EDT
I'm going to be doing a bit of work on the site -- just back-end stuff that probably won't affect what users see. It's related to the little fiasco we had a couple weeks ago with the site being flat-out messed up.

Basically, I'm having my host copy the site onto new servers (which messes it up), then fixing it there and pointing the "troutnut.com" domain name to the fixed site on the new servers. That means any forum posts that take place in the next few days or so might be lost in the process... so if you were planning to post your greatest manifesto on exactly how to catch all the pickiest trout, you might want to hold off for a bit.

I'll update this again as soon as everything's settled back to normal.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 5, 2010June 5th, 2010, 9:16 pm EDT
Thanks for the heads up, Jason.

Best regards,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com