Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

SteelyKrazy
Lititz, Pa

SteelyKrazy on Feb 10, 2010February 10th, 2010, 9:52 am EST
I have taken an intrest in fly fising this stream in the past 2 years, although I have float fished it for 8 years now. I was wondering if anyone else fly fishes it, and what flys you might like to use on this stream? Last year a gentleman told me he likes to use beadhead prince nymphs, and brown or black stone flys. Any information on this would be of great help as opening day is on the way.

Jeremy
catch and release and restoration are the devine keys
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 10, 2010February 10th, 2010, 10:50 am EST
"Any information on this would be of great help as opening day is on the way."

The nymphs you mentioned are always good. Why not experiment a little with various nymphs and tell us how you did?

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 10, 2010February 10th, 2010, 1:05 pm EST
If the water's up at all, try dead drifting and swinging a black woolybugger, or other streamer.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Feb 11, 2010February 11th, 2010, 11:32 am EST
Jeremy,
If stockies are what you are hunting try eggs, buggers, generic nymphs. If you explore the upper reaches try bright high floating attractors like humpies, royal wulffs, and Mr. Rapidans. YZOu won't find many big fish but you will find many Mtn Jewels if you are persistent.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
SteelyKrazy
Lititz, Pa

SteelyKrazy on Feb 15, 2010February 15th, 2010, 1:41 am EST
WBranch, what a great idea! I will do just that and let you all know how it works out.
SteelyKrazy
Lititz, Pa

SteelyKrazy on Feb 15, 2010February 15th, 2010, 1:43 am EST
JOHNW, do you fish this stream often? If so maybe we could get together and do some fishing. Let me know as the same for the rest of you.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Feb 15, 2010February 15th, 2010, 8:26 am EST
I've never wet a line in Shermans actually but I have a few aquaintances who do. Of course I put it on the list every year and something always happens.
Always looking for someone to hi tthe water with.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply