Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 1, 2009November 1st, 2009, 6:19 am EST
I found this report interesting, thought you guys might as well:

Article

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 1, 2009November 1st, 2009, 8:33 am EST
Thanks Shawn. I'm turning down that bid on the condo in Denver and staying here in the good old East.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Nov 1, 2009November 1st, 2009, 12:08 pm EST
Come on Louis
I for one would like to visit you in Denver, anybody else.

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Nov 1, 2009November 1st, 2009, 12:34 pm EST
I watched about an hour of that report on C-Span the other night. It was interesting to me to see the differnet ways in which regions of the country use their water and how they divy out rights to it. I have lived on the west coast for most of my life excep for a short stint in Florida. It shocked me to see what is the major user in each region. I had no idea that power plants used so much of the water throughout the country. I guess it really is amazing what you hear if you pay attention.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Nov 2, 2009November 2nd, 2009, 9:15 am EST
All hail the Great Lakes Compact..

Quick Reply