Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FSAngler
FSAngler on Nov 8, 2007November 8th, 2007, 7:43 am EST
I'm taking a road trip from Denver to Great Falls, MT next week, and I'm hoping to deviate from my course a bit to get some flyfishing in. Anyone know of a good hatch that would be on my route?
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 8, 2007November 8th, 2007, 1:42 pm EST
Too late for olives out west? Call some shops in the area; they'll know. Best luck; have a good trip.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Nov 9, 2007November 9th, 2007, 9:50 am EST

First (can I go along) ha ha Second stop at wolf Creek below Holder Dam. Then fish down to Craig I have fished this water in Novmber Take along your shotgun for ducks and fish in the afternoon.You will need some Pink bead heads about 14 and if the sun is out some 16-18 Olives Drys with a few 16-20 Adams.That should do it have a great trip.

John Dunn

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,

Quick Reply