Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 3:07 am EDT
where the slurping, bug feeding Salmo trutta only reach a max length of 7.25 inches.

Yeah, and there are NO trout in Pennsylvania.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 3:09 am EDT
Plus, articles like that keep the crowds off of the Wisconsin streams where the slurping, bug feeding Salmo trutta only reach a max length of 7.25 inches.

Way to go John. Just another example of how fishermen exaggerate size.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 3:11 am EDT
Oh, it's getting too deep for the hip waders.

--Fred Chappell
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 3:15 am EDT
Yeah, and there are NO trout in Pennsylvania.

Louis, PA. has a MONSTER TROUT DERBY!! I'm sending FF'ers East from now on.

The Business Owners of Lackawaxen Township and G. Anderson Homes are sponsoring the third annual Monster Trout Derby, open to all anglers, with approximately $2,500 in prizes being offered. There is no entry fee for the public and no pre-registration. All that an angler needs to do is catch any one of the 100 monster trout being stocked in the Lackawaxen River between Hawley and the Village of Lackawaxen.

http://www.neagle.com/sports/x1331537383/Monster-Trout-Released-in-the-Lackawaxen

Where the heck is Lackawaxen????

Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 7:30 am EDT
John, this is just another internet scam, equivalent to the rich prince in Africa scam. Don't believe a word of it. They'll ask for a photo of a big fish, then your bank account number. As to your question about the Lackawaxan, I've heard of it, but don't know its actual location. Somewhere in the NE section of the state, I think.

--Fred Chappell
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 11:13 am EDT
FYI... here is a typical Wisconsin slurping trout. :)

Better fishing in PA or MT.
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 2:10 pm EDT
I wondered when someone would find that article. I cannot conirm or deny the existence of that fish.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Aug 4, 2009August 4th, 2009, 3:35 pm EDT
Nice brown John! And, I commend you for not revealing which, of the many Wisconsin waters, that monster came from. Next time why don't you include some pictures of those huge chubs that are so common here in the state.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply