Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Mar 1, 2017March 1st, 2017, 1:42 pm EST
And really there's not a proper place to post this, but I was messing around on the forum, and I see that most of the people here live in PA by a huge margin.

I somewhat feel out of place now.
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 1, 2017March 1st, 2017, 9:27 pm EST
There has definitely been a strong PA presence here over the years, but I think the current active users represent more than just PA. No need to feel
out of place. PA has over 86,000 miles of streams and rivers.And is steeped in fly fishing history. There is a strong argument that fly fishing in the US started here in PA, not in the Catskills. I don't get into that argument because I love it all, but it is interesting to hear the case for PA! Among other states the most active users hail from CO, MI, CA, NY, WI, WA, OR and PA. Maybe we in PA just have big mouths ;)
Leakyboots
Hermitage,pa

Leakyboots on Mar 2, 2017March 2nd, 2017, 2:05 am EST
I've been fishing for Trout in Pa. for 55 plus years and fly fishing for over 50 of them years. There was a trophy Trout stream, fly fishing only section of stream where I did most of my fly fishing. I can remember fishing all week and seeing only one or two other fishermen in the 60's. Now when i go out its standing room only.

I've only have fly fished in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, And West Virginia. Seems like there were a lot of fly fishermen in those states. Seemed to be more fly fishing than bait fishing in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Alaska. I haven't seen much difference in Trout fishing from state to state, what works here seems to work everywhere else.
Will Shaver
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Mar 2, 2017March 2nd, 2017, 2:14 am EST
I have heard nothing but positive things about the rivers and streams in PA. I would love to visit sometime.

The man who built my bamboo rod lives in Pulaski PA. Chris Lantzy is his name.

I have seen all the blue lines going through PA on the map. I can just imagine the fly fishing history of that state and the surrounding states as well. It must be very educational and fun to learn about.

Quick Reply