Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

UPTroutBum
Marquette, MI

UPTroutBum on Oct 28, 2008October 28th, 2008, 2:57 am EDT
I've been fly fishing about a year and said I never wanted to tie flies, but winter is approaching and I want to tie up some of my favorite patterns for next year. My girlfriend said she would buy me a kit for christmas. Looks like they start from 40-100 for moderate beginner kits. Which is the best?
My buddy has a vise I really like I'll have to check the brand, but I want to tie mostly bead head nymphs like prince and hares ear, since I lose a lot in tight areas. For dry's, Adams and some various attractors. Obviously some others, but I go through them mostly. I should probably buy a book, any good ones that have a lot of info packed into one?
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 28, 2008October 28th, 2008, 3:06 am EDT
There is already a thread on this topic:

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/705

See if it is helpful.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
UPTroutBum
Marquette, MI

UPTroutBum on Oct 28, 2008October 28th, 2008, 5:05 am EDT
ya that helped, I guess getting a tool kit may be the way to go since for right now im selective about what I want to tie. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/archive.php
That helped as well.

In the kits that provide materials for just one fly, about how many of them can you tie with the materials?
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 28, 2008October 28th, 2008, 6:59 am EDT
UPTroutBum-

When fly fishers decide to start tying their own flies, they generally begin by asking questions about kits. Many fly fishing clubs and shops offer a beginning fly tying class, and will provide both tools and materials. That way, one doesn't need to buy either tools or materials before acquiring sufficient knowledge to make informed decisions. And, perhaps more importantly, by the end of the class, one acquires some skill in the techniques necessary to use those tools and materials to effectively dress flies. In my opinion, this is a far more effective approach to take.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 7, 2009November 7th, 2009, 6:20 am EST
Bumping this thread up in response to a query.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 7, 2009November 7th, 2009, 12:34 pm EST
Though this is an old thread, I will put in my 2 cents worth. I took a class, now almost 20 years ago, and I would recommend that route to anyone. There is nothing better than one-on-one instruction and having someone who knows what they are doing show you how its done, right there along side you while you are doing it too. And the first fly I learned to tie? The good old Woolly Bugger...We went through a complete selection of dries, wets, nymphs, and streamers, and we even learned how to spin deer hair for bass bugs and etc. Ever since, I have not fished with a fly that I did not tie myself, which is pretty amazing considering that some of my early flies looked like CRAP. Like most things in life, practice makes perfect.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply