Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionWestern MD
Dates Fished7/13/08
Time of DayMorning
Fish CaughtBrook/Brown
Conditions & HatchesCaddis, Crane Flies, Midges

Details and Discussion

Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Jul 13, 2008July 13th, 2008, 1:03 pm EDT
I fished for a few hours this morning to wrap up a visit to the DC area(used to be home). I am now back in PA, but my thoughts remain at Big Hunting Creek in MD. I approached the first pool from downstream and immediatly began casting to holding fish. This was my first time on the small, clear stream, and little did I know, these Native fish are spooky. I was amazed at the numbers of fish here, 30-40 fish in this particular pool. Needless to say, I blew it after missing 3 strikes and putting down the entire pool of fish. I hopped in the car and headed upstream. Here I found a nice pool and hooked one fish on a big #10 Adams. I said they're spooky, I never said they were picky.

After a few more casts, this pool was done. I then decide that I have been gone long enough from the first pool for the fish to be working again. I head back to the pool with a new plan. I walk along the path about 100 yrds. downstream of the pool and cross. I then walk until I am at the tail of the pool. Here I crouch behind a big boulder and watch the fish. After a minute I notice that most of the fish are woking the left bank feeding under an overhanging bush. These fish are taking beetles and ants. I wait for the fish to get going and lay down a few casts to the middle, with the intentions of moving each cast an inch or two further left than the last. I get hung up in a tree behind me a few times, but eventually it all comes together. I manage a few nice Brook Trout on the #10 Adams.

The action tapers off as these Native fish begin to catch on. On my way out, I hit up a deep plung pool where I raise a nice Brown Trout to my Adams

I can't think of a better way to leave town. My first trip on Big Hunting was both humbling and rewarding.
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jul 13, 2008July 13th, 2008, 1:31 pm EDT
thanks for a wonderful report. someone totally misinformed us about what lived there a couple of years ago, so we never even saw a fish! now we will able to plan better. Gorgeous fish, BTW.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Jul 13, 2008July 13th, 2008, 1:37 pm EDT
Send me a PM if you ever consider going there. You guys have some incredible trout fishing in your area.
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 14, 2008July 14th, 2008, 1:33 am EDT
Gorgeous fish. Congratulations on your success!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply