Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 29, 2008February 29th, 2008, 11:53 pm EST

That there can be solitude without loneliness.

That the power of a wish and a whisper of a riseform in the early morning fog makes every day worthwhile.

That we never really grow up, we just get older.

That I am hopelessly addicted to this sport and terminally obsessed with wild trout.

That there are some universal truths to us that fishing is only a means for us to be who we really are.

That there is power in nature and an aura of pure self content when we touch her.

Spring can't get here fast enough.
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Quick Reply