Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 6:17 am EST
I am doing a project in my latin class on Mayflies of North America. I must derive the latin names of each species, determine the declension, and case. I am having a hard time finding these names in any latin dictionary. Is there anyone who may have a good resource for me to find this information in?
"I now walk into the wild"
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 7:00 am EST
This may be more than you want:

COMPOSITION OF SCIENTIFIC WORDS
A manual of methods and a lexicon of materials for the practice of logotechnics
ROLAND WILBUR BROWN Geologist, U. S. Geological Survey
Information: Book Title: Composition of Scientific Words: A Manual of Methods and a Lexicon of Materials for the Practice of Logotechnics. Contributors: Roland Wilbur Brown - author. Publisher: Smithsonian Institution Press. Place of Publication: Washington, DC. Publication Year: 1956. Page Number: *.

Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 7:15 am EST
another one I like:

Jaeger, Edmund C., 1944. A Source Book of Biological Names and Terms, C.T. Thomas publisher.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 7:23 am EST
Remember that there's a big difference between Latin and Latinized. Lots of scientific names are just English words, or some entomologist's girlfriend's name or something, with Latin suffixes tacked on the end. And some of them (like Isonychia bicolor) don't even seem to be Latinized.

You'll have to pick and choose your species to find good Latin words from your class. There are plenty to choose from, but don't get hung up on any particular name that doesn't seem to be Latin... it probably isn't.

I bet Louis can help. I know he's fluent in at least one dead language. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 9:34 am EST
Thank you for the help. I figured that some of the species names weren't in latin.
"I now walk into the wild"
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 9:35 am EST
The previous recommendations, which I am not familiar with, may prove to be better references, but early chapters (1-7) of Wheelock's Latin give a clear sense of different declensions that may be useful. Chapter 7 in fact has some tips for common endings in the third declension that may help, though offhand most of the names that come to mind seem simple first declension nominative, such as Drunella cornuta. Roger, what do you think?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 11:17 am EST
Louis-

Roger, what do you think?

In response to your rhetorical question, I shall rely on Mark Twain, who advises, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 19, 2008November 19th, 2008, 12:37 pm EST
I knew we'd get a good answer out of our one and only Taxon.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply