Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Feb 7, 2008February 7th, 2008, 7:54 am EST
Anyone going to Greg Hoover's class on 23 Feb.?

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 8, 2008February 8th, 2008, 3:31 am EST
I just got my FFP Catalog and considered it. I'd have to see what kind of time is available and if there are any slots left by the time I make up my mind. I may have to play my out of town for a while card the next week steelheading, so that factors in as well. I've heard very good things about Greg, and do hope to take one of his classes at some point, though.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 8, 2008February 8th, 2008, 9:53 am EST
I taught Greg's daughter chemistry a few years back. I tried to contact him to let him know about this site, thinking he would really enjoy it, but he never got back to me. I've heard from others that he's a busy man and I ought not to take the lack of a response personally. I'd definitely like to meet him at some point.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Feb 8, 2008February 8th, 2008, 12:51 pm EST
He is doing a bunch off different classes for TCO as well, most classes i believe are with george daniel. I've never met greg hoover, but I know george is a great guy, good teacher, and his fly fishing credentials speak for themselves. I think the tco classes cover one hatch per class w/ both streamside and classroom stuff. I think while typing this I may have talked myself into hitting one up myself.
Jeff

Quick Reply