Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 26, 2008January 26th, 2008, 3:25 am EST
Jason, please delete and send me a chastising PM if this is a no no. I didn't see any rule against it, and a few of the guys I know here might be interested.

I have a pair of Simms Guide Waders that I've only worn twice. They are Large Short, and according to their size chart are good for anglers who have up to 32" inseam and 9-11 foot size, with 44" the largest girth. I would appear to fit the bill; I'm 6' have a 32" inseam and size 10 shoe, but the waders are just a tad short and pull a tiny bit at the very end of my forward step. I can wear them, but I believe they would be perfect for someone who is around 5'9" to 5'11" with a 29-31" inseam. I'd be willing to let them go for 200.00 before the season comes and I just decide to keep them. PM me if you're interested.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 26, 2008January 26th, 2008, 9:52 pm EST
Louis-

Perhaps you have already explored this, but Simms customer service has such an excellent reputation, that it would not surprise me if you could exchange them for the correct size, either through where they were purchased, or directly through Simms.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 27, 2008January 27th, 2008, 4:15 am EST
Thanks for the suggestion, Roger. I did think of that, and may pursue it also. They are last year's model, bought on sale, so that may keep me from exchanging them easily, but I think I'll call and ask them.

--Fred Chappell
Kerry
keewatin mn.

Kerry on May 4, 2008May 4th, 2008, 3:34 pm EDT
still gotthose waders am interseted unless to late kerry
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 5, 2008May 5th, 2008, 12:23 am EDT
Louis, you are anything but large short. I remember once claiming on this forum to be a fat little kid because I nymph a lot, but that delusion never drove me so far as to actually buy waders to match it. What were you thinking?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 5, 2008May 5th, 2008, 2:12 am EDT
Shawn, the Simms measurement chart. It fits my measurements, but one must measure from the floor up for inseam, not use pants size. It worked out OK as Leland Outfitters sold them on Ebay for me for right at 200.00 and I'll use the proceeds to purchase a new set of waders later from them (they give full store credit--a good deal for anyone wishing to get rid of some older gear). For now I'm using a set of Cabelas that I find I like very much. Very dry, articulated knees, five layer lower leg. These will become my backup waders when I get a new pair of Simms.

Kerry, sorry, they are gone now.

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 5, 2008May 5th, 2008, 10:20 am EDT
Ah, understandable. You understand why I found the description humorous, though, yes?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 6, 2008May 6th, 2008, 5:37 am EDT
Of course.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply