Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bellis
Redwood City, CA

Bellis on Sep 12, 2020September 12th, 2020, 1:01 pm EDT
Hey everybody. Simple question—-Simms G3 or Patagonia Swiftcurrent? Need some waders that I can use all year long—-hot and cold weather. Durable and breathable. I am a Simms guy, but am looking at the Patagonia’s. Any opinions or experience would be GREAT! Thanks...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 13, 2020September 13th, 2020, 1:59 am EDT
You might want to take a look at the Orvis Pro waders. They've been reviewed favorably, and I'm liking mine over my Simms waders. They are extremely durable, made of Cordura, and they come off a lot easier than Simms at the end of the day. I fished some on my knees this summer in low clear conditions, and they have built in knee pads (removable). I've heard good things about Patagonia, but haven't tried them.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply