Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Gt2003
Broken Arrow, Ok

Gt2003 on Oct 18, 2007October 18th, 2007, 1:02 am EDT
Boy, you all sure make this easy. I'll follow your advice and see how things progress. Thanks again, Greg
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Oct 18, 2007October 18th, 2007, 3:55 am EDT
Glad to see you getting back into the "swing of things"....

FWIW, the actual tapers do vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. What is "standard" is the weighting; #of grains in the first 30'.

Typically, though, on a WF line the taper at it's front is less than the taper at the back, thus giving it better "shootability" and making it easier to cast when the wind is up. Also, the taper lengths on a DT line is generally longer than that on a WF, this is where delicacy does come into play. For example the SA Ultra4 WF-6-F specs are:

Tip Front taper Belly Rear taper Total head Running line Total
.5' 6.0' 28.0' 4.0' 38.0' 47.0' 85'

Ultra4 DT-6-F

Tip Front taper Belly Rear taper Total head Running line Total
.5' 6.5' 72.0' 6.5' N/A N/A 85'

A WF line is definetly the way to go for the beginning flycaster, as your flycasting skills improve you may want to consider adding a DT to your arsenal (roll casting a DT is easier than a WF). Also, I would add that leader length is more a function of water conditions than rod length particularly when wet/nymph fishing where control is critical. On the Klamath River in the early season, leader lengths of 3' are the norm, not the exception....

Any who, tie on a fly, clip off the hook, practice, practice, practice; your outings will be much more enjoyable....

Dano

Edit in: Sorry 'bout that, can't seem to "line up" the specs under the headings....but I think you can figure it out.

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Flybinder
Oregon Coast

Flybinder on Oct 18, 2007October 18th, 2007, 1:42 pm EDT
"Gore"................ it's been very interesting to follow this particular post, so far, thank you for starting it!
After throwing the long rod now, for a hair over 40 years or so, it's always great to learn new things as I stumble along, which I've actually done, on lines, etc. with the post you started!
Now, when you're ready for "line #2", (don't worry, you'll soon be up to "line #27, before too much longer!), I'd suggest looking very closely at the new "Airflo brand "Ridgeline".
At the beginning of this season, I was given 4 of these, in weights WF4/F, to WF6/F,to try out and give feedback on. Well, after spooling up the WF4/F, on my Abel reel, I took it out and have "never looked back"!
In the off chance, the bride walks in while I type this, I won't say "how many" fly lines I own, my marriage is sorta solid at the moment because I also mowed the grass today. But, the new "Ridgeline" is about one of the neatest and most well designed fly lines I've ever used.I haven't taken out another line from my arsenal all season, since getting these to try!
They cast farther, when in wind, roll cast like no other, WF I've ever rolled with, self clean on every cast and even my 4wts turn over 7' Bass Leaders and deer hair, Bass bugs no problem!
My stomping grounds, for fishing, are Oregon, (home state), but also Washington, Idaho and Montana on equal basis all season long, so I never know if I'll be on short water, long water, lakes,rivers, or streams on a given outing. But, after loading up the Ridgelines, I've never worried about where I'm fishing, when it's come to re-spooling a reel.
Because of their design, they don't touch the rod's guides, like conventional lines, thus also, keeping down the wear friction on snakes and tip top, especially like old style lines that collect algae and water scum.
Of course, like any board, on any topic, when 2 or more anglers get together........................these are only MY OWN comments, suggestions and ideas, on a given piece of gear!
Thanks, again, for a really good topic!
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"

Quick Reply