Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This discussion is about the East Branch of the Delaware River.

A large, slow Catskill trout river meanders in the shadow of a mountain.

From the East Branch of the Delaware River in New York
The East Branch of the Delaware River in New York
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 28, 2007September 28th, 2007, 12:47 pm EDT
I have seen some reports that the Didymo algae has been found, now, in the East Branch of the Delaware near East Branch, NY. The potential for spreading this "rock snot" as it is called is very high. The problem is it kills off insect populations because it smothers the stream and river beds. For more information regarding Didymo, look here:

Didymo

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 28, 2007September 28th, 2007, 12:54 pm EDT
Thanks, Mark. Good to know.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 28, 2007September 28th, 2007, 1:03 pm EDT
Oh no. I hope it doesn't spread, especially into the West Branch or Main Stem. Thanks for the alert.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 28, 2007September 28th, 2007, 3:08 pm EDT
Hi,
From the way I understand it they BELIEVE they have found this stuff in the East Branch. Tests are being done to confirm it, but from what I seen they are fairly sure it is there.

If I see any more information I'll let everyone know.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Sep 29, 2007September 29th, 2007, 4:47 pm EDT
Most of NY's watersheds are linked by canals and channels now, are they not? This makes for a very scary situation.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 30, 2007September 30th, 2007, 2:27 am EDT
I've been told that neoprene waders soak up microorganisms and carry them from one stream to another much more effectively than breathable waders do. It makes sense, but I don't know how true it is. Can someone more knowledgeable than I confirm this?

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Sep 30, 2007September 30th, 2007, 2:29 am EDT
I've read that felt soles may transport the didymo more readily than rubber soles too.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 30, 2007September 30th, 2007, 2:34 am EDT
That's interesting, because felt soles are probably much more likely to be used by serious, well-traveled fishermen than neoprene waders are (though I suppose most breathable waders still have neoprene feet).

Does anyone know a good way to decontaminate whirling or didymo organisms (or anything else) without damaging waders or boots? A mild bleaching, perhaps?

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 30, 2007September 30th, 2007, 3:20 am EDT
more on Didymo

Take a look at this page for more info and cleaning solutions. We've really got to work together to prevent the spread of this stuff.

The news is not too good:

From the Post-Standard, Syracuse
Didymo found in East and West branches of Delaware River
Posted by David Figura September 28, 2007 4:45PM

The presence of didymo, an invasive plant species commonly called "rock snot" by anglers, has been confirmed this week by DEC officials on two, well-known trout streams in the Catskills.

Steve Lorence, fisheries manager of the Region 4 DEC office in Stamford in Delaware County, said sampling by DEC aquatic biologists has confirmed the presence of the slimy, brown-colored plant on at least five sections of the West Branch of the Delaware River, including the confluence with the Beaverrkill.

In addition, it's been found near the Route 191 bridge in Deposit on the West Branch of the Delaware River.

Unlike many other aquatic nuisance plants, didymo or Didymosphenia geminata, grows on the bottom of flowing and still waters. It can develop thick mats even in fast-flowing trout streams. In its presence, fishing becomes difficult, the abundance of bottom-dwelling organisms declines, and trout and other fish that feed on those organisms also decline. It resembles rotting cardboard when it dries and rots.

Its presence in the Catskill, often touted as one of the premier trout-fishing areas of the state, could mean trouble for an area where millions of dollars in tourism related to fishing is spent each year.

The microscopic algae cling unseen to waders, boots, boats, lures, hooks, sinkers, fishing line, and other fishing gear, and remain viable for several weeks under even slightly moist conditions, according to a DEC press release.

Absorbent items--for example, the felt-soled waders and wading boots commonly used by stream anglers-- can easily spread it. Canoeists and kayakers can also unknowingly contribute to its spread.

Mark

Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Sep 30, 2007September 30th, 2007, 8:17 am EDT
http://www.gmtrout.com/untitled89/index.html

the above web site, among others, offers tips on how to clean your gear to avoid transplanting didymo.
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 12:25 am EDT
That is really grim news. I keep my camper at the Oxbow in Harvard and consider the East Branch to be my "home" waters.
New Zealand has a major scourge of didymo and they are addressing that plague with chemicals on at least one big river, and as I understand it, are having some as yet undetermined degree of success.
Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 7:30 am EDT
Let's hope they have success in New Zeland, that the chemicals aren't worse than the problem, and that someone takes initiative and nips this in the bud on the Delaware.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
AFISHN
West Chester,PA

AFISHN on Jul 15, 2015July 15th, 2015, 12:13 pm EDT
It is definitely in the West Branch
Tom
"..when i'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'... "

Quick Reply