Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ton
Ton on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 7:45 am EDT
I hope I'm not too off-topic. How do you search this site within posts or just posts titles,or just postings by specific posters? The google engine directed at troutnut.com recovers everything on the site.

Thanks,
ton
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 8:09 am EDT
There isn't a specific search for the forum, I'm afraid. To look for postings by specific posters, though, you can click the poster's name and see a chronological list of his/her (OK, who am I kidding, his) most recent posts.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 8:35 am EDT
you're not kidding anyone! there are over a hundred posts by lady angers on this board. betcha can't tell the difference. kinda like trout...they all have spots.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Ton
Ton on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 8:46 am EDT
Thanks folks. I brought up the search question because I didn't want to start a topic that has been brought up before. But looking through the google results for this site, it does seem to return the hits I want, with my keywords highlighted.

And thanks for the tip on clicking the poster's name to see their postings.

ton

Quick Reply