Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Sep 12, 2007September 12th, 2007, 8:51 am EDT
OK so I have been reading LaFontaine's Proven Patterns again and the Double Wing has once again caught my attention. I've never tied them but am considering it.
Do any of you have experience with this pattern?
Even more importantly have you noticed a significant difference in performance between it and Kaufmanns Stimulator pattern? It seems the stimulator would be slightly easier/quicker to tie but if the Double Wing is generally more effective then it would be a worthwhile trade.
JW

"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Sep 13, 2007September 13th, 2007, 1:36 pm EDT
I always thought that the stimulator was a brookie fly, is it supposed to represent something specific?
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 7:16 am EDT
Smallstream,
Both flies are general attractors (in other words brookie or cutt' flies) however the stimulator can also be tied to imitate various adult stoneflies. It is also a passable hopper imitation on less pressured waters.
JW
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 8:57 am EDT
John, I believe Jason posted on the double wing a while back. Perhaps he'll point us to that thread?

(Edit by Jason: Here's that other Double Wing thread.).
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 3:36 pm EDT
Louis,
Read that thread, even went as far as chemically treating a calf tail as someone suggested (with very nice results). I was just hoping to glean a little more annectdotal info before I decide on going whole hog with double wings.
As an aside the treated calf tail will be very nice in my brookie Wulffs.
JW
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 16, 2007September 16th, 2007, 4:18 am EDT
John, what did you use to straighten the hair in the tail?

I''m tempted to give this a try myself, though I've been using, with good results, turkey T-base feathers (some call them flats; I understand A.K. Best makes a careful distinction) for Wulffs.

--Fred Chappell
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Sep 16, 2007September 16th, 2007, 10:46 am EDT
Louis,
I used hair straightening treatment that they sell in the hair care section of the local mega mart.
I bumped the original "Double Wing" post to keep it current. The technique was described by Invicta.
JW
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 17, 2007September 17th, 2007, 10:49 am EDT
Thanks, I'll be checking out Wally World soon. With my shiny pate, folks will wonder why I'm spending so much time in the hair care section.

--Fred Chappell
Davez
Pennsylvania

Davez on Sep 18, 2007September 18th, 2007, 5:12 am EDT
...they both spin endlessly....ya, I know, heavier tippet.... but they both work. matter of taste.

good luck.

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Sep 18, 2007September 18th, 2007, 3:11 pm EDT
Dave,
Naw heavier tippet not required just a slower casting stroke. Yet another reason for a slightly softer rod. ;)
JW
Davez
Pennsylvania

Davez on Sep 20, 2007September 20th, 2007, 5:23 am EDT
JW,

Oh yeah... slow rods AND heavy tippet! speaking of, I have been having fun fishing a grass rod on the pond....

see my post about the yough.. man, the isos have been on.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Oct 17, 2011October 17th, 2011, 7:21 am EDT

The double wing escapes me. I remember reading about it, but now unretrievable. Maybe off subject, but when I want the natural look for the wing, and what the fish sees, I pinch down a couple of the big, fan CDC feathers, and place them as an underwing to my deer hair downwing on my stimmies. And I have lots of CDC when I shoot where I am looking.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 18, 2011October 18th, 2011, 11:49 pm EDT
JW,

As I said in the other thread, it's my favorite attractor fly, and I would certainly recommend that you tie up a bunch of them. They're a joy to fish because they're so easy to see, durable, high-floating, and effective on all species of trout and grayling. I haven't done any sort of controlled test to see whether they really fish better than a stimulator or a trude, but I do think you'll never regret tying the fancier fly unless you lose a lot of them in the bushes.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Oct 19, 2011October 19th, 2011, 1:52 am EDT
Old thread here but it was extremely effective for the trip I went on. In fact an orange double wing on #8 tmc 200R was the only surface fly I used for well ove 100 trout in a week.
Unfortunatly my local trout don't seem as receptive to pure attractor patterns so they live in my western box just waiting for their next opportunity to shine.
JW

Quick Reply