Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.
Martinlf on Oct 15, 2020October 15th, 2020, 8:30 am EDT
Doug, if you want some strong fine tippet for those tiny flies, try Stroft GTM. They have some very fine diameters, and it's the strongest mono I've found in small diameters. The 7X is very strong, and I've landed some decent fish on the 8X without having to exhaust them. A good drag and side pressure help. I think they even sell 9X! I order mine from Lost Creek Fly shop:
Red_green_h on Nov 7, 2020November 7th, 2020, 7:57 am EST
Thanks for this link. I fished ankle deep waters last Wednesday and couldn't get anything near them without spooking them off. I have some 6x and 7x tippet (Walmart special) but it's no bureno, breaks very easily. Gonna give this a try!!!
Martinlf on Nov 7, 2020November 7th, 2020, 10:19 am EST
It's plenty strong. Try getting on your hands and knees for that water. I have a pair of knee and shin pads I use. Approach slowly and use a long fine leader. You'll be surprised what a difference it can make.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"
Troutnut on Nov 10, 2020November 10th, 2020, 1:23 pm EST
I got a bunch of Stroft GTM late this summer and so far have been impressed with its strength. I was hoping to use some of it for Euro nymphing with very fine diameters to cut through the water, but my nymphs always tangle into a huge mess (reportedly a general problem with nylon monofilament) so I went back to fluoro for that technique. But the Stroft seems like fantastic dry fly tippet.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Red_green_h on Nov 13, 2020November 13th, 2020, 8:34 am EST
Just got some 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x. I've never used 8x before. I've used 7x though and it always seems to end up like a black widow's web but I know just the spot where I want to give it a try. I gotta get there before the snow flies and it gets locked in. Hopefully next week or after. The weather here should be cooperative at least through the end of the month.
Red_green_h on Nov 30, 2020November 30th, 2020, 6:51 am EST
Planning on a day trip Wednesday or Thursday. Thursday will be a high in low 30s so I would prefer going on Wednesday however my buddy that was coming with probably has the virus sooo...he got tested just waiting on the results, might not know for a couple days. He feels fine just mild symptoms. I would love to take my son up there but the water is very low and he can be somewhat loud (bad combo). Still it would be worth his while to take him. In any event I hope my buddy recovers quickly. Might have to wait until late winter early spring before I'm able to get back up there.