Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 11, 2020October 11th, 2020, 11:16 pm EDT
I'm sure you must have seen the tenkarabum website. If not check it out. He says they are available only from Japan. Although he does import them. Good luck finding them.
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 12, 2020October 12th, 2020, 6:57 am EDT
Look for Varivas 2300 Ultra Midge hooks. They are basically the same. I don't know if they make them that small, but the design is the same.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 12, 2020October 12th, 2020, 7:03 am EDT
OK, I checked and I have 18 of the size 32's. I don't think I'll ever tie on them. PM me a price and your address and I'll send them.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 12, 2020October 12th, 2020, 12:20 pm EDT
When I was a younger tier I bought a bunch of Mustad #32 hooks. They were gold plated and totally useless but at the time thought it would be cool to tie up some midges. I have a bunch of Mustad #26 if anyone wants them. Send me your name and address and I will mail them to you.

I haven't used a fly smaller than #22 in twenty years. If bugs are emerging smaller than a #22 I just won't be catching any trout that day.

I located this on the Internet. Based on the date of the article I'd guess these hooks are no longer in production.

https://www.reelflies.com/blog/the-mustad-277-gold-plated-in-size-32/
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 13, 2020October 13th, 2020, 1:58 am EDT
Pure insanity! I can't see anything on the water smaller than a #16!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 15, 2020October 15th, 2020, 8:24 am EDT
Hooks are on the way. I hope Doug shares some photos of the flies--and the fish. I'm just glad I had some hooks for him. I'm a bit of a hook collector, and know how hard it can be to find some patterns. I love the old Varivas Midge hooks and have a few left. The newer ones are a bit finer wire, and I've actually had a few bend or break. If anyone has some of the older ones, with the blued finish, in size 26 or 24, I'd be glad to take them off your hands. The old number was 988. The newer ones are numbered 2300.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 1, 2020November 1st, 2020, 11:56 am EST
Hello Louis,

If you are planning a Montana trip in 2021 let me know and I will bring my #26's out and give them to you.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 1, 2020November 1st, 2020, 1:21 pm EST
Matt, yes right now I'm planning on going. I left my deposit with Jason to help them out at Wolf Creek, and I will be using it at some point. I think we'll have a vaccine by then, and I have two airlines that owe me a rebooking as well. Perhaps we can fish together after all!

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply