Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Apr 8, 2019April 8th, 2019, 1:08 pm EDT
I might be in Luther, MI for a weekend conference in late June. If I go a day or two earlier are there any trout streams close by to wet a line in?

I have never trout fished in lower Michigan. Plus, it will be my first time taking the Badger Ferry across the big lake to Michigan.

Any ideas please PM me.

Thank you,
Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Apr 8, 2019April 8th, 2019, 10:57 pm EDT
The Little Manistee is close to Luther I believe (I'm not as familiar with the west side of the state). I have never fished the Little, but I have heard amazing things. There is a flies only stretch and would be worth exploring!
From Michigan
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 9, 2019April 9th, 2019, 12:29 am EDT
Like doug I fish the east side for the most part. I have fished the upper Manistee near Deward. This is smaller water that is accessible, very pretty area. There is also a Pine River in that area that is well known for its brown trout fishery, and also for its canoe trippers! If you can get your hands on a copy of Michigan trout streams it is very helpful with river locations, near by resturants and hotels, and other info.

Mike.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 11, 2019April 11th, 2019, 12:23 am EDT
John.

I sent you an email.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Apr 11, 2019April 11th, 2019, 12:46 am EDT
Spence I got it and I will reply.

Thanks everyone.

Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Jun 28, 2019June 28th, 2019, 8:16 am EDT
Little Manistee starts in Luther.

Baldwin R is just south of you. This is an unmentionable on some forums.I feel the Michigan people here know about this already.

Of course, the PM is a short drive away.

Quick Reply