Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Male Onocosmoecus unicolor (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Adult from the Yakima River in Washington
I first just assumed this was Dicosmoecus based on anglers' conventional wisdom since it's a large orange "October caddis," but Creno set me straight. I should have keyed it out. After another look under the microscope, it lacks an anepisternal wart on the mesopleuron, which rules out Dicosmoecus. The midtibiae have 2 apical spurs and 1 pre-apical spur, and from there the color pattern of the wing points to Onocosmoecus. The location then narrows the species to unicolor.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Sep 19, 2020September 19th, 2020, 9:19 am EDT
Onocosmoecus unicolor?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 19, 2020September 19th, 2020, 10:19 am EDT
Didn't mean one thing and write another -- you caught me assuming the genus based on angler-entomology instead of keying it out. Oops! After closer inspection under the microscope, of course you're right.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Sep 20, 2020September 20th, 2020, 7:19 am EDT
Interesting that the western angling lit has Dicosmoecus as orange. Within the Dicosmoecinae only Onocosmoecus is orange, the rest are dark greys to blacks when alive and, like Onocosmoecus, often faded to browns when pinned. Amphicosmoecus could be considered orangish on some speciemens but the wings are typically more grey/brown with a reddish tint, and finely speckled. Onocosmoecus unicolor is one of those very widespread species that further study will likely reveal are comprised of several species. But not to worry, it probably won't happen soon :-) I forgot to mention - thanks for the great pics.

Quick Reply