Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Jun 23, 2020June 23rd, 2020, 6:36 am EDT
Do you use floatant on an emerger fly ? I'm trying them on a dropper dry fly .
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 24, 2020June 24th, 2020, 5:09 am EDT
It depends on what the fish are doing if you see head and tail rises it is likely the trout are eating the mayflies as they rise in the water column and they eat them a few inches under the surface. If you see more typical head rises then you can add a little floatant.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Jun 24, 2020June 24th, 2020, 8:54 am EDT
Thanks.
Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Sep 7, 2020September 7th, 2020, 9:45 am EDT
I use that powder floatant on the CDC part of mole flies (a Charlie Craven emerger pattern). The CDC is rather hydrophobic and works well,untreated, at first. But after a while, I find I have to dry the fly and add floatant to the CDC part.
BTW - there's a good tying video on the mole fly at the Orvis nymph-tying page. Brian

Quick Reply