Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn has attached these 18 pictures. The message is below.
John on N Branch Au Sable
March Brown
Blurred Brown Drake
Spence's 18" N Branch Brown caught on a Tim Neal Drake...Thanks Tim!!! :)
Floating the South
Dink :)
Thunderbird Club. Ernie fished in front of here and John is sporting a little cane.
Spence and his Hardy clad Winston
Ginger Quill Before he passed Carl Richards owned this place. Chatted with him here on this bench a couple times.
John on dock of Ginger Quill.
Reviving Mr. Big
This is one happy man!
23" South Branch Au Sable Brown...Way to go John!
Finally! Success!
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jun 12, 2014June 12th, 2014, 6:12 pm EDT
Nice TR Spence.. and awesome fish JohnW!!

Amazing, you guys are into the big Drakes and across the big lake we are still dodging ice cubes. :-)

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 14, 2014June 14th, 2014, 1:36 pm EDT
Looks like a wonderful trip. Absolutely love that 1st boat image. Congrats on your big one too, John! Was that a night time dry fly fish??

Paul
If you count 22:00 hrs as being night time then yes it was a night time dry fly fish (my new lifetime best fish on a dry). Truth be told the pattern I used was basically a bastardized klinkhammer tied with an antron shuck and then, polypro wrapped body that turns into the very oversized post a little oversized and densely wrapped hackle to keep her afloat. Cover the thorax with dubbing of choice and there you have it.
I tie it as a green drake so body/wing is creamy yellow and as I said the wing is huge. I do this not for imitation purposes but rather for visibility to me. In the failing that night with Mr. Big it paid huge divedends. I was casting into a patch of water above where this guy was feeding so I could mark the fly but as it drifted into shadow it became a guessing game based on the sound of the rises.

As for Tim's drake pattern you will have to ask him but his advice that a fish that is feeding on drakes will take it if properly cast and presented is not an exaggeration. In fact there were a few fish that came to it even when presented poorly. Perhaps it has something to do with the mantra of a long time Au Sable guide: 3D (Do Drag Drakes)

For those of you who have not fished the Au Sable you should just remember it only sounds like the National Guard is shooting AT YOU!
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 15, 2014June 15th, 2014, 4:50 am EDT
Nice fish John! congratulations! Excellent job representing us PA boys!
Powellammon
Powellammon's profile picture
Price, Utah

Powellammon on Jun 16, 2014June 16th, 2014, 3:17 pm EDT
Beautiful fish! JW, Thanks for the tips on fishing drakes!
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 19, 2014June 19th, 2014, 3:14 pm EDT
Nice fish John! congratulations! Excellent job representing us PA boys!

Yes Eric, indeed he did! My guide friend Jim told him after fishing with him that "You got game, man!"...He covered the river well and it was his plan to switch to his own fly just in time to snag Mr. Big...He probably never saw a fly tied by a PA Boy...Bet he remembers it though! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply