Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Squarehog1 has attached these 4 pictures to this report. The message is below.
I have upgraded to a larger net.  This was a failed attempt

Report at a Glance

General RegionSw idaho
Specific LocationSouth Fork Boise
Dates FishedSept 4
Time of Day7 am - 6 pm
Fish Caught2 rainbows 12”, 17”
Conditions & HatchesSmall pink mayflies, terrestrials, some caddies, hot dry light gusts of wind in the afternoon

Details and Discussion

Squarehog1
Squarehog1's profile picture
ID

Squarehog1 on Sep 7, 2020September 7th, 2020, 2:41 pm EDT
This is an amazing river with big strong smart rainbow trout. Catch and release barbless hook. On this trip , shortly after switching to a hopper /ant , I hooked a dandy that jumped straight away and threw the hook.. I landed a good one a while later. I also caught my personal best this spring. A real trophy that took me 18.5 minutes to land.. I got it all on my chest mount go pro. So the first pic is from Friday and the others of my trophy. Please watch my videos as well. I make them for fun, I only have 11 subscribers haha.

https://youtu.be/aVdlVdO28H4

https://youtu.be/MUDd8BMJ_bs
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 13, 2020September 13th, 2020, 7:53 am EDT
Nice photos.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Sep 18, 2020September 18th, 2020, 10:21 am EDT
Great videos!!! Thanks for the inspiration. Makes me want to go out right now.

Quick Reply