Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 7, 2020April 7th, 2020, 7:52 am EDT
Pennsylvania fish commission used their heads and decided on an early opening of the trout season to cut back on the crowds that would surely congregate on all the bait waters. It was originally slated to open April 18. I could care less as I haven't gone to an OD for 25 years and rarely fish for stocked trout. They are okay but not something I look forward to casting to.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 7, 2020April 7th, 2020, 8:34 am EDT
Ron has been out steelhead fishing and has caught exactly nothing, though a few fish are in. I'm thinking about Clark's Marsh, now a drive instead of a hike, to see if the bass are waking up yet, and the Rifle River is open at Selkirk...nothing better to do and I can find places to be alone, plus it's supposed to hit 58 F tomorrow. I'm goin' fishing!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 7, 2020April 7th, 2020, 12:00 pm EDT
Ive been sitting at home, other than doing the shopping for us. My son and his wife are lab techs at a hospital in flint, and my baby sits from to 2 to 4 days a week depending. I don't want to be that guy, although it does upset me, I fished all winter when water levels and temps allowed, and now that I could be fishing and not freezing here I sit. Oh well, I hope things turn, not just for me, but for all those folks who have deal with this every day in hospitals and doctors offices, and those great folks at the grocery stores!
Be safe, Mike.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 8, 2020April 8th, 2020, 1:57 am EDT
After I learned PA decided to forego the traditional OD of April 18 I looked up their web site.

They put together a nice video about social distancing, how to use your rod and extended arm as a good measure to keep separate from other anglers and other good information. One of the last statements was "try to fish within fifteen minutes of your home". (That might not be an exact quote) I bet for most of the license holders that criteria will not be met.

I live in a suburban area. The county is huge and the closed stocked trout stream that I could fish is the Yellow Breeches. The stream is probably over thirty miles long but even the closest area is thirty minutes from my home. To conform with the early season regulations technically I can't fish.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 9, 2020April 9th, 2020, 2:58 am EDT
Well...no fishing yesterday. I drove to Clark's Marsh and there were two cars in the parking lot. "That's two too many" I said to myself and drove home. I can find myself alone at that place plenty of times & it's still early yet. However, our "snowbirds" are all returning early and heading up here, potentially bringing the plague with them (one report on CMU Public Radio mentions multiple cars showing up, some with out-of-state license plates, one month earlier than normal & more cars than normal...GREAT!!!) Shitty weather coming back now anyway, & once trout season opens I can disappear into these tiny little brookie creeks. I found a beaver pond on one the size of a football field while doing some pre-season scouting, this on a creek I have caught brookies from already!

Gotta watch out for others, some cidiots just don't get it, not to mention the locals...while attempting to check out the frozen pizzas in my local grocer's frozen case I suddenly found myself surrounded by people...and bolted!!! "Guess I'm not buying any f-ing pizzas today!"

You all be careful and use common sense. I might not have minded two cars at the Marsh any other time, they could be bird watching a mile away form the bass pond...or downstate carriers thinking they're escaping from it only to bring it up here! I got plenty of alone to find if I need it, including out in the woods...and for my first shot down there, I want it all to myself anyway, the peace and quiet, other than the birds singing & the breeze blowing through the trees...frogs any day now!

Stay safe and tie flies! I need to do the latter...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
87North
87North's profile picture
New York

87North on May 9, 2020May 9th, 2020, 3:30 am EDT
Opening day here in Western NY was packed everywhere. I went to the less-known counties, south of Rochester & east of Buffalo along the Southern Tier of the state, and spots were still full. I think everyone just wanted to get out of the house.

I haven't been out since then, since it's been too cold. But fortunately I've had some success right at the mouth of the Genesee river here on Lake Ontario. Still waiting for the weather to stop being 60 degrees one day, and 35 the next.
- Echo ION XL 8wt Rod // Ion 7-9wt Reel // Steelhead & Salmon
- St. Croix Triumph Light Rod // Daiwa BG 2000 Reel

Quick Reply