Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 8, 2019May 8th, 2019, 1:21 pm EDT
I couldn't stand it any longer, water levels had dropped and the weatherman said sunshine for the day, so Tuesday I went up north. Still not sure were I was going to go I decided to stop at the closest river and work my around depending on water levels. Well it felt like winter when I got there, 37 degrees, cloudy and windy. The water was in pretty good shape so here we go, I decided to use the euro nymphing techniques with the new recon rod and some new nymphs I tied. I really didn't have much hope for catching much but at least I was out. It took a while but I finally kinda was getting it when what the heck I caught a small rainbow. Then a few more, and then a small brown, then a couple of pretty good browns! It finally got windy enough that I was problems getting a good drift, so I put on a indicator, which was also something I haven't done much of, but I caught two more nice browns and lost a good one. The came out about 2:00 pm, and some hendricksons started to hatch, but not enough to get fish looking up. After about 10 hours I figured I better hit the road, all in all a pretty good start to the season, the one bummer was garbage left by so called fishermen, I mean come on take your friggin beer cans home with you, this really drives me crazy, and all the spawn bags, yarn and line hanging from the trees was nuts. Maybe the might cast better if they didn't have busch light 24 in one hand. Oh well got vent a little, hope everyone else is having a good season, hopefully it will start acting like May around soon.
Mike.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 9, 2019May 9th, 2019, 6:40 am EDT
Good for your Mike! I have only wet a fly line once, in Clark's Marsh a couple of weeks ago but I got two nice 'gills and saw a bunch of wildlife including snakes and butterflies. It's been waaaaaaaay too cold this spring and I have yet to hit the Rifle or the Pine, but it's coming, plus there's [REDACTED] Pond and Reid Lake to kayak while the streams are scary (just got a bunch more rain today). I'm also anticipating quite a morel crop this year, folks will be finding them on their lawns will all of this rain (and snow we had this winter). Good thing too, all of that precip will keep the springs running high and cold this summer to keep the Rifle and the Pine from getting too warm and low in July and August. Good fishing is coming, along with the mushrooms and wildflowers, we just need some warmth!

Again, glad you got out and tight lines and mucho Hennies on the wing next time for you.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on May 9, 2019May 9th, 2019, 1:15 pm EDT
Good start for the year Mike. That's a good mixture of trout you had too, and I'm glad the quality of the fish got better as the day went on. Good job sticking with it through the weather and all.

How did you like the Recon?
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 10, 2019May 10th, 2019, 11:20 am EDT
Iasgair and Jonathon, I think maybe last year was a little more difficult, but I also agoing with this nymphing method. Im really getting into this, yea its a work out, but for what ever reason im drawn to it like a moth to light! The Recon 10 3 wt. is a really cool rod, first most it is a euro nymphing rod, it is attractive, with well done wraps. The cork is excellent, a down locking reel seat to help balance the rod with the reel, and believe me with a 10 ft. rod you want it balanced well. The rod also cast a 5 wt, line very nicely, and I think a 4 wt. would be perfect for casting dries. I just have to get all of this together, I have the hydros 2 its a great reel and I think its the one I want to use on that rod. But I also use it with a 5 wt. on my gloomis nrx.,so a extra spool is in the cards. As far as fish fighting, this rod was fish on fun for sure! And I believe tippet protection is great with this rod. If you want to give the euro nymphing a try I belive this rod is great choice. Jonathon my son lives in Hartland, and just sent a pic of some morels in his yard, and Dad do you want these? Oh lord, yes please.
You guys have a great day
Mike.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on May 10, 2019May 10th, 2019, 12:10 pm EDT
Fantastic Mike. I have the 1004 Scott A4, and it does well with Euro nymphing. But what I have found out is, with most 10' rods, and I don't know about Orvis, if they do this or not, but my Scott 1004 has the butt section of a 5wt with the tip of a 4wt. I don't know if they do this because of a longer taper in the rod or what? But it does make sense to me. I wish the A4 came in a 3wt, but it didn't, and Scott doesn't offer a 1003 in their rods. So I'm glad to hear that you like the Recon 1003. I do have the Recon in a 9'6" 6wt for bigger flies and windy conditons, and it's a very nice rod. Now I may have to look into a 1003 Recon.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 13, 2019May 13th, 2019, 3:15 am EDT
Mike,

GOOD to hear another Michigander got out, I've been watching the USGS flows for too long and things are still sketchy for safe wading here in SW MI...but now I'm on a 10-day vacation and gonna' head north Tuesday and Thursday to hit the Big Man and- maybe- the Boardman. Out of curiosity (and frustration/boredom) I walked the bank of the Muskegon @ Croton yesterday and no hatches, no insects, NO fishermen either! Just too much water going by, and maybe cool air temps slowed things down?

Tight lines, and catch one for me.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 14, 2019May 14th, 2019, 2:12 am EDT
Glad to hear you got out. Let's all hope for less rain.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 18, 2019May 18th, 2019, 12:56 am EDT
non-report, of sorts-

I was on the Big Manistee's Hodenpyl stretch Tuesday, drove the west river road hitting as many walk-in spots as I could find. I was swinging streamers and wets through every riffle and hole I could cast to but the thermals were pretty good to start with and by 100 pm or so cross-winds, side-winds, lots of wind made casting with any reasonable accuracy next to impossible. No fish rising, no hits, I did see a couple or three Mayflies (maybe Hendricksons, greyish and approx sz 12-14) but that was it for insect activity too.
Thursday morning was on the Rogue since flows were low enough to wade; a couple small Rainbows and again minimal insect activity- the same spotty Mayflies (Hennies?) here and there and some BWO's but no consistency. Highlight of the outing was shooting the breeze with a couple other flyfishers, one from W Pennsylvania and the other from northern Illinois who was meandering back down through MI after a trip to the Au Sable (he said it was 'fair' up there). The latter concurred that things were either late, slow, or just weird this 'Spring'.

There's always next week, though...!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 21, 2019May 21st, 2019, 3:44 am EDT
I hit Clark's Marsh last Friday afternoon. Not even the bluegills are biting much yet, got maybe 10 in three hours or so plus a couple of smallish bass. Not much plant growth, water lilies barely reaching the surface...not much happening yet in my neck of the woods, boys!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
BonFireBob
BonFireBob's profile picture
Central Illinois

BonFireBob on May 28, 2019May 28th, 2019, 3:04 am EDT
I hit Clark's Marsh last Friday afternoon. Not even the bluegills are biting much yet, got maybe 10 in three hours or so plus a couple of smallish bass. Not much plant growth, water lilies barely reaching the surface...not much happening yet in my neck of the woods, boys!

Jonathon

Glad to hear you got out though you didn't have any luck with the bluegills.. had the same experience three days ago.. going out saturday again!
Bob - If you want to read more about my fishing experiences go visit my fishing blog.

Quick Reply