Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 19, 2019April 19th, 2019, 7:24 am EDT
I totally get it Matt, I hope you do well that setup, let us know how it works out. I decided Iam going to go ahead and get the orvis recon nymphing rod. I will let you know what my impressions are once I get out on the river with it.

Mike.
Troutbum32
Troutbum32's profile picture
New Zealand

Troutbum32 on Jan 10, 2020January 10th, 2020, 7:08 am EST
The Sage ESN is a great choice! We've been testing one for the last few months and have had no regrets!
20 Years Fly Fishing in New Zealand and abroad.
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 10, 2020January 10th, 2020, 11:17 am EST
Matt, I kind of fell in love with recon this past spring and summer, I really could not get the damn thing out of my hands when I was the water. Even some small to medium size streamers it worked well for me. But know I see gloomis has gone into this market with the nrx+ 4100. I know its more than what you wanted to spend, but this rod really looks it could be quiver killer. Im hoping to cast one soon. In the mean time it looks like we are going to get the mother of all ice storms here in mid-Michigan, I hope all my trout nut friends here in Michigan are prepared and please be safe. Water levels have been to high for me to fish, so Im tying! Anyone have some cool early season fly patterns, Im tying some little black stone flies know, maybe start on bwos if we have lights! Any way take care and be safe and think spring!

Mike
Barbaube
Barbaube's profile picture
France

Barbaube on Jan 14, 2020January 14th, 2020, 4:51 am EST
Hey! Please excuse me if I’m jumping in this thread a bit late but the New Recon is coming up in March. They will have a 10ft 2wt in the line up. My guess is that it will be a Euro nymphing rod, which Orvis never offered. I have heard that 2 wt euro nymph can cast dries with mono instead of a fly line. Does anyone has experience with such rod? When I euro nymph I only use mono on my 10ft 4wt and it’s magic. I can feel everything even with a 4wt. But I can’t cast dries with it.

Thanks

N.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 20, 2020January 20th, 2020, 1:41 pm EST
Hi, I used a long mono leader some last season, a Hends Camou French leader. I liked it and had some luck. It will cast a dry fly, but it's tricky. I caught one fish on a dry using it, but typically I'll switch to a traditional set up for dry flies. A guy I know has a formula for long mono leaders that I'm going to try next season.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Barbaube
Barbaube's profile picture
France

Barbaube on Jan 22, 2020January 22nd, 2020, 4:37 am EST
Thanks Martinlf!

I can't see myself going back to using a fly line while euro nymphing. The sensitivity much better. Do you mind sharing that long mono leader formula? Also what rod (weight) were you using for fishing dries with mono?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 22, 2020January 22nd, 2020, 4:32 pm EST
Also what rod (weight) were you using for fishing dries with mono?

I'd be very curious to understand how you can fish/cast dry flies mono.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 23, 2020January 23rd, 2020, 11:26 am EST
Matt, check troutbittens website, I have used his mono leader and found effective to certain degree, its basically a 24 ft. taperd leader. I fished streamers and nymphs pretty effectively last fall. I cant say I really care to cast dries with it, but it only takes a few minutes to remove it and put a normal leader on.
Mike
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 26, 2020January 26th, 2020, 1:43 pm EST
Barbaube, Partsman has it. The formula I plan to try is from Dom on Troutbitten. I was using a Hends leader last season. I was either fishing a 9' 3W Cabela's LsI rod or an Echo Shadow 10' 3W. I believe it was the latter. Matt, the Euro rods are made to cast mono leaders without any fly line. It's not pretty with a dry, but it can be done, and a really good caster (better than me) can do it relatively well. I remember Loren Williams had gone all mono for all his fishing, nymph and dry, a while back. Few, if any, could ever do long casts with a dry, though; it's a close in thing--at least for me.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 28, 2020January 28th, 2020, 4:08 am EST
Louis,

It's not pretty with a dry, but it can be done, and a really good caster (better than me) can do it relatively well.

So you think I could throw it 75' then? hehe
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jan 30, 2020January 30th, 2020, 11:59 pm EST
Last Spring I tried out my Hardy Zephrus AWS 10ft 4wt with a 22 ft leader and a bead head green caddis larva pattern. Casting upstream it was very effective, but I was not making long cast.

In the early Spring in my area the free roaming and net spinning green caddis larva are definitely on the trout's menu. I find the key is to get the larva pattern down along the rocky bottom of the stream with a natural drift. With no flyline hanging off the tip, just mono which made it easier for me to get a natural drift and feel the take. But I am still a newb to this techique and I have a lot to learn.

The hardest part was when I hooked a 17" brown. The long, light rod made it more difficult for me to land the fiesty trout.

This Spring I plan on testing a slinky indicator made with Rio 2-tone tippet material. Anxious to see how effective that is as well.

Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 1, 2020February 1st, 2020, 1:46 pm EST
John, let me know what you think of the slinky. I tried one for part of a season and was not a fan. Most of the guys I know have moved on from them too. See George Daniels new book. He seems to like "rabbit ears" better.

--Fred Chappell
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 1, 2020February 1st, 2020, 10:53 pm EST
John, let me know what you think of the slinky. I tried one for part of a season and was not a fan. Most of the guys I know have moved on from them too. See George Daniels new book. He seems to like "rabbit ears" better.

What are "rabbit ears"?

I am also making my own leaders for this over the Winter. Suggestions?

BTW, is the white house along the Delaware still there tht Caucci abd Nastasi used to rent and run their classes out of? I miss those days.

Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Feb 1, 2020February 1st, 2020, 11:42 pm EST

What are "rabbit ears"?

I am also making my own leaders for this over the Winter. Suggestions?

BTW, is the white house along the Delaware still there tht Caucci abd Nastasi used to rent and run their classes out of? I miss those days.

I believe the term "rabbit ears" or "bunny ears" refers to leaving the tag ends long when joining sighters for visibility.

Link to an article referring to George Daniel

https://blogflyfish.com/2018/10/my-new-euronymphing-sighter.html
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 2, 2020February 2nd, 2020, 12:49 am EST
John, Al Caucci has sold the white house, but it's still there. He actually sold the entire Delaware River Club. The new owner is a cool guy, and Jeff White still runs the operation. I like Jeff a lot, and always feel at home staying there. One of my two favorite guides on the river Bruce Miller works out of the DRC. We've had some good days on the water, including two epic days of caddis, olives, and sulphurs a few years back. I'll see if I can find and post a couple of photos from that day. In one, if I remember correctly, I'm wearing a goofy smile that shows just how much fun we had.

--Fred Chappell
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 2, 2020February 2nd, 2020, 12:56 am EST
John, Al Caucci has sold the white house, but it's still there. He actually sold the entire Delaware River Club. The new owner is a cool guy, and Jeff White still runs the operation. I like Jeff a lot, and always feel at home staying there. One of my two favorite guides on the river Bruce Miller works out of the DRC. We've had some good days on the water, including two epic days of caddis, olives, and sulphurs a few years back. I'll see if I can find and post a couple of photos from that day. In one, if I remember correctly, I'm wearing a goofy smile that shows just how much fun we had.

Please post, i would love to see it.

Fond memories of staying at the white house and fishing the Delaware, especially fishing the Junction Pool in the evenings in May. That was many moons ago. Some day I want to go back there. I tend to head west each summer.

Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 2, 2020February 2nd, 2020, 1:02 am EST
John, I'll be in Montana this summer, fishing the Missouri June 24-June 28, then probably the Blackfoot, Rock Creek, and the Big Hole or Beaverhead. If you're in that neck of the woods then, let's meet up to wet a line or have a beer, if possible. Or we could meet on the Delaware. I'm sure to go up at least once this spring. Posted up a few pics for you in a new thread.

--Fred Chappell
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 2, 2020February 2nd, 2020, 2:46 am EST
I would love to meet up out West.

I don't know my dates yet. Waiting to see the snow pack levels. Usually I have been out there in September. I am hoping for 4-6 weeks out West this Summer / Fall. Last year i had the same idea but between Jury duty and family cvommitments that didn't happen. :-(

Crossing my fingers.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 2, 2020February 2nd, 2020, 2:56 am EST
Getting back on topic, the euro nymph bug only appeals to me in the early Spring in the Upper Midwest freestone streams. Once the trout start looking up I turn to soft hackles, emergers, dries spinners, and even floating nymph, which is my passion.

Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 4, 2020February 4th, 2020, 7:14 am EST
Thanks to Louis I ended up buying Nymph Fishing by George Daniel. I am almost done reading the entire book thanks to fast shipping from Amazon.

He discusses a lot of the different techniques and gear options.

I have decided I will try this Spring the Maxima Chameleon mono type setup and see how it works for me. In his book he shows several different long leader formulae to try. So I have Maxima Chameleon #20, #15, #12 & #10 to make the butt sections. I also have Rio Two-tone indicator spool. The only thing I won't use is lead split shot.

Quick Reply