Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flamey has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.
WV native and state fish the brook trout. What a wonderful day!!
The excited cheesy smile says it all!!! 23 inches of fight and fun!!
Look at that beautiful color!!  Thank you WV!!!

Report at a Glance

General RegionAppalachian
Specific LocationWest Virginia
Fish Caughtbrook, brown, tiger and rainbow
Conditions & HatchesSulphur nymph and dry, pheasant tail, prince, caddis dry, gold ribbed deer hair nymph, quill gorden dry, blue wing olive dry, royal wulff

Details and Discussion

Flamey
West Virginia

Flamey on Nov 25, 2018November 25th, 2018, 11:14 am EST
Good evening all NEW guy here who grew up in the Catskill MTNS of NY and moved to WV a few years ago. Have had a blast learning new water and meeting new people and sharing the great NY tradition of fly fishing.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 27, 2018November 27th, 2018, 7:39 am EST
Nice fishies! Welcome to the Forum. Lots of friendly fisherman with lots of advice here. BTW I've seen those "Golden" trout and it makes you wonder how they don't get picked off by herons and eagles!

Tight lines!

Jonathon

P.S. Do they stock tigers in your waters? A guy here in MI just caught and released a natural one - extremely rare!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 27, 2018November 27th, 2018, 8:45 am EST
Welcome, great pics, keep them coming as the weather here in Michigan really sucks right now!

Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 28, 2018November 28th, 2018, 11:26 am EST
Thanks for the report.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flamey
West Virginia

Flamey on Dec 3, 2018December 3rd, 2018, 2:05 pm EST
Thank you for the warm welcome, I totally agree on the golden standing out for all of mother natures fish predators, humans included. I have found them to be very frustrating to catch as they are very timid and skittish, WV stocks one golden for every 10 rainbows so I use the golden just to lead me to the bows. I have had my best success in discolored water with of all things mop flies, usually green or yellow. Yes WV does stock a limited number of tigers. I have only caught one (and released) in the 9 years I have been here but it was a beautiful fish with tons of fight.

Fred

Quick Reply