Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 30, 2007August 30th, 2007, 1:28 pm EDT
Hey John, you catching any fish? I also hope to get up your way (Green Hills) this fall.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Sep 13, 2007September 13th, 2007, 12:19 am EDT
All winter long I look forward to the first cast of the season.
My favorite hatch is what ever is hatching the first chance I can get out on on a stream at the start of the season.
Early March mid afternoon my early season box has Taeniopteryx, Strophopteryx, Epeorus and Apatania nymphs; along with nondescript but varying streamers.
Then after I'm chilled to the core I look forward to returning to my camper and toasting the hatch with hot buttered rum.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
JMarcus
Bellingham, WA

JMarcus on Sep 14, 2007September 14th, 2007, 5:59 pm EDT
Over here, wherever one can find a stream not inhabited by anadromous fish, usually above a dam or other barrier we get some beautiful hatches of Green Drakes, both Dodsi and Coloradensis. They run large. about 10's and 8's. If they are coming off the riffles and one has the right fly it can be heaven. If they're not and one has a large, buggy green nymph, then it's about the next best thing.

Regards,
JMarcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com
J Marcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 16, 2007September 16th, 2007, 11:01 am EDT
"anadromous"

What a cool word. Well done, JMarcus.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis