Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 1:55 am EDT
Happy Easter everyone, hope your day goes great.

Lol, gotta get one in while I can...

Hidden eggs around
Kids are on the hunt all day
Easter bunny hop!

We think that it’s springtime at last

But remembering Aprils past

It’s easy to see

Just how there could be

Another cold wintery blast
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 2:08 am EDT
Yes, Happy Easter 🐰 everyone 😊
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 1, 2018April 1st, 2018, 7:46 am EDT
Yes, thank you and Happy Easter to everyone!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 2, 2018April 2nd, 2018, 3:41 pm EDT
A belated Happy Easter! Sad to say, no fly fishing this time, too cold...some day soon.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 2:30 am EDT
No fishing for me either. Still too cold. The water is most streams is 41 degrees. Yesterday it snowed an inch. Today it is pouring rain. In a week my wife and I leave for a week in Antigua. Get away from this crappy weather.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 4:16 am EDT
"In a week my wife and I leave for a week in Antigua. Get away from this crappy weather."

Of course I'm envious...I've actually been buying books lately on ocean fishes & seashore life...been a long time since I saw the salt. Are you gonna take any fishing gear, or is this strictly an R&R type of trip? Whichever it is, enjoy yourself, and take some pics for us!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 8:52 am EDT
Hi Jon,

Are you gonna take any fishing gear, or is this strictly an R&R type of trip?

The last three trips we took (St. Lucia, and twice to Jamaica) I didn't take any gear. I only bring fly gear if I plan on booking a guide. It is just too risky to be fly casting near the beach. I'm not frequently looking around to see if someone is walking behind me and wouldn't want to whip someone in the face with the line of worse yet hook someone!

I bring a 4 piece medium action 7' spin rod, a Plueger reel loaded with 10# braid, some swivels and a spool of 20# nylon tippet and a couple of 12" long wire leaders. I bring one plastic box with a couple of crank baits, half a dozen hair jigs, and some swim baits. I try and get up at first light and walk away from the resort if possible. Then I fish until around 8:00 a.m. or until people start walking around too much.

I have caught barracuda, snook, bonefish, red snappers. It is fun and salt water fish can really put up a fight. You don't need much in the way of lures because the areas I fish are very under fished. There may be hundreds of people in nearby resorts but no one ever fishes.

Did I ever post up the picture of the big barracuda and horse eye jack I caught? Awesome fish on a big Yo-Zuri plug. It bit so hard that it penetrated the hard plastic body in half a dozen places!

I Googled fishing in Antigua and found out that right behind the resort are a few lagoons supposedly loaded with baby tarpon. "Baby" means 5# - 15#. Pretty exciting babies. Also loads of bonefish, snook, 'cuda, and other sport fish. Can't get too focused on fishing though since this is time away with my wife. Kind of a combined Anniversary and birthday event.

Check out this link - it has a ton of pictures of all the sport fish this guide goes after. Really neat.

http://www.antigua-flyfishing.com/

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 3, 2018April 3rd, 2018, 9:27 am EDT
Wow Matt, that all sounds good! And you are correct, I feel that saltwater fish fight 3-4 times as hard as a freshwater species of the same size. This is from experience on party boats on both coasts, where a fish giving you one helluva tug-of-war comes up much smaller than you were expecting..."Geez, all that fight outta YOU?" They come in beautiful colors too, and tend to be quite tasty...

Man, really envious now, and bringing back some memories of family vacations to the FL Keys, Cape Charles, VA...one year I swear I will make it to the Winter Star Party so I can combine stargazing with kayaking, fishing, snorkeling, beachcombing...if Spring Break ever overlaps with that event, expect photos to be posted on here

"You don't need much in the way of lures because the areas I fish are very under fished. There may be hundreds of people in nearby resorts but no one ever fishes."

Don't you just LOVE places like this? Fishy as can be but no one else paying any attention? I hope you nail them and share some pics on here with us. Also of the ocean, beach, etc. In the middle of heavy snow right now here in Oscoda...could use some warmer images!

Jonathon

Quick Reply