Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.
A brown.

Report at a Glance

General RegionCatskills
Specific LocationDelaware
Dates Fished5/22 and 5/23
Time of DayNoon to dark
Fish CaughtBows and Browns
Conditions & HatchesWe caught fish on small olives and caddis. Other bugs were on the water sporadically, but our fish came on the above.

Details and Discussion

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 23, 2017May 23rd, 2017, 11:25 pm EDT
Two fantastic days floating out of the Delaware River Club. I've known the manager Jeff for many years, and he always treats me like family. He set up the trip and it was one of the best I've had anywhere. We caught a few on streamers and one on a nymph, but most of the fish were on dries, and most were 18 inches and up. I'll post up a few more photos when they arrive. I pulled this first one from their blog at

http://thedelawareriverclub.com/blog/
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on May 23, 2017May 23rd, 2017, 11:33 pm EDT
Sounds great I was in stilesville last week unfortunately the drift boat traffic was just to much for me out there wading
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 23, 2017May 23rd, 2017, 11:40 pm EDT
Yes, drift boats can be a pain when you're wading. The guides are generally respectful and careful to go behind wading fishermen. My guide Bruce Miller took great pains to avoid going in front of any wade fishermen, and we simply didn't fish anywhere near where guys were wading. It's too bad everyone who owns a boat isn't as considerate. Now that the water is coming down wading should come into its own, and there will be many fewer boats up at Stilesville. Good luck and tight lines.

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 10:21 am EDT
Nice fishies, Louis! Haven't seen many of our members posting any fish pics lately. It's been so cold, wet, and windy around here I haven't gotten out very much myself. Well done!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 24, 2017May 24th, 2017, 4:22 pm EDT
Thanks Jonathon. The Delaware fish make you work for them, but some days can be magic.

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 2, 2017June 2nd, 2017, 7:13 am EDT
One more bow from the trip. Just got the photo.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply