Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Fresh hen.
A real brute for the PA creeks.  28" long and it put me into the backing in ten seconds and took me down river 150 yards from where I hooked this gorgeous hen.
This is a 27" fish caught about an hour after the 28" hog.
Today all my fish were hooked on a #16 Pheasant Tail with a woven Mylar wing case.  It is very exciting to see the indicator just twitch a fraction and you lift the rod tip and 6 - 8 pounds of silver muscle erupts from the creek and comes down with a huge crash.
Another strong hen.  This fish just would not quit and besides running almost into the backing it took me a good ten minutes to slide it up on the gravel.

Report at a Glance

General RegionErie County
Specific LocationGirard & Folly's End
Dates FishedNovember 2 and 3
Time of DayDawn to dusk
Fish CaughtSteelhead, steelhead, and more steelhead
Conditions & HatchesBeautiful blue skies, no wind, 68 - 72 both days. Water was medium lever Monday and low today. Used 4X most of the time but went to 5X off and on.

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 8, 2015November 8th, 2015, 8:39 am EST
The answer is yes...I do want to know everything. :)

I thought so. There was a time when I was very close mouthed about my flies, techniques, secrets, honey holes, kept it all to myself. But as I got older I had caught so many thousands of big trout (I guess big is in the eyes of the beholder, but for me it is any trout 19" or bigger) that I figured a few more big trout here and there weren't going to change my total fishing life that much so now I enjoy sharing almost sixty years of trout fishing and fly tying with anyone who wants to learn.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 8, 2015November 8th, 2015, 5:22 pm EST
Yes, Matt, you are very generous with information, and I've benefited from your help many times. Thank you for the recent PM.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Nov 9, 2015November 9th, 2015, 4:16 am EST
My philosophy is to extend my knowledge of the sport to all who are interested. I don't give away my honey holes, but I'm more than happy to teach what I know to promote the sport, especially with young people.

Quick Reply