Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 2:18 am EDT
Mike, it's a great book. Some of the patterns are complex, and I am building up to try them, but others are as simple or more so than traditional ones. Try the shucked emerger for baetis or paraleps. It's very effective. And the polycase nymph is another fly I now keep in my box. The zelon comparadun is actually easier to tie than the deerhair version, and more durable. Etc. Etc.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 3:16 am EDT
That's good to hear. I'll try looking around at some bookstores for it, if I can't find it I'll order a copy through Amazon. Thanks for the information.

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 3:29 am EDT
one of the locals asked me if I had any luck because he had never seen anyone fishing there before.

I would just kill him quietly and let that be the end of the discussion.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 6:57 am EDT
Shawn,

Shhhhh. . . . You're going to get a bunch of us into trouble.

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 10:54 am EDT
Louis, haven't you noticed that wherever Shawn fishes, mysterious disappearances are reported among the local population? When I fished with him, I considered myself lucky to have escaped with my life! I've even heard rumors that he's known as Shawn the Slasher, and it's not because of the way he slays the trout. :{
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 10:55 am EDT
There's a special charm about the stream where you have most of your bodies hidden, isn't there, Louis? Something Zen-like about the quietude...

-Shawn

P.S. Aw, c'mon Gonzo, you saying you've never used this tactic on pressured waters? I find it hard to believe. There's a little killer in all of us.
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 11:04 am EDT
OK, now you're scaring me.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 11:51 am EDT
Yes, Shawn. Some even say the fog that rises over the silent water in the evening there moans sadly, "I promise I'll never tell; just put down that wading belt, please."

--Fred Chappell
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 11:56 am EDT
the blue ridge strangler
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 26, 2007July 26th, 2007, 1:54 pm EDT
Right now, not only am I disturbed by the creepy turn this thread has taken, but I'm starting to seriously wonder if I should insist upon background checks before I go fishing with anyone else on this site.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 27, 2007July 27th, 2007, 2:05 am EDT
So, even the thread devoted to new posters has suffered the same fate as all the others, drowned in the unending drivel of a few desperate individuals.

Jason must wonder why he even bothers...

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 27, 2007July 27th, 2007, 2:21 am EDT
Geez Shawn, time for the meds! Or a trip to the stream. I know, the low water is getting to you. Come on down to be deviled by some little Trico eaters who will keep you entertained for quite a while. And make you even more desperate, but in a good way. :)

--Fred Chappell
Shakeyfly
Massachusetts

Shakeyfly on Aug 10, 2007August 10th, 2007, 8:46 am EDT
Hello everyone,
My name is Ryan and I'm new to this forum. I have been fly fishing for about 10 years now. It's my primary form of fishing. I love fly fishing and was drawn to this site from another forum. The pictures, terminology and the overall information on this site is what attracted me to join this forum. After ten years of fly fishing, I still don't understand all the bugs, names, and the matching flies to them. I can recognize most flies, fish, and can match a hatch. But I now beginning to delve further into, learning more about the aquatic insects.

Fantastic website and very impressed! Look forward to speaking with everyone and sharing some experiences!
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad - A.K. Best

Catching fish is as incidental to fishing as making babies is to #$%&ing. ~William Humphrey

Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women. - Jaws
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Aug 10, 2007August 10th, 2007, 10:42 am EDT
Hi Ryan. Welcome aboard. If you're interested is discussing aquatic insects, this is definitely the place to do it. There must be about 10 times as much dialog here, as on all of the other entomology forums combined. And, as a bonus you even get exposed to some poetry.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 10, 2007August 10th, 2007, 2:26 pm EDT
Welcome to the forum, Ryan.

--Fred Chappell
Dkmaine
mid-coast maine

Dkmaine on Aug 29, 2007August 29th, 2007, 10:29 am EDT
Hello all...I'm David, originally from not-so-far from Ithaca, which is how I found this site a year or so back. I've been in Maine for 8+ years and counting. I started fly fishing last April and have been sucked in wicked hard.

I fish rivers, streams, bays, surf,pond and lakes for brookies, browns, rainbows, small and largemouth, stripers, blues and anything else I can scare up. Fishing mainly in the mid-coast region of Maine, along with Northern Maine, NY (Finger Lakes area)...but I got a taste of MT/WY?Yellowstone area this summer and we be fishing it much more.

Trying to learn more about trout food is what brings me here!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Aug 29, 2007August 29th, 2007, 10:55 am EDT
Hello David.

This is certainly the place to learn more about trout foods. Sounds like you are solidly hooked on flyfishing. What was your experience in MT/WY/YNP? It is my impression that the combination of heat and low water resulted in many of their rivers being closed to fishing this summer.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 29, 2007August 29th, 2007, 11:08 am EDT
Welcome, David. I'm from Ithaca originally, and I know there are a number of others on here with Ithaca ties, including Troutnut himself. Nice to have you on board, so to speak.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
JMarcus
Bellingham, WA

JMarcus on Sep 4, 2007September 4th, 2007, 8:08 pm EDT
OK. I'll bite. (said the sucker...) I'm Marc and I'm not quite as old as dirt. Started fishing at 6. (was begging to at 5) and tying at 8 so tying for 50+ years. With a little luck I think that I'm within reach of getting good at it. But then, I don't see so well now as I usta...
Learned to fish in the little creeks that come out of the base of the Mogollon Rim in Northern AZ, but came north as soon as I could. Started fishing with those metal, telescoping "fly poles." Dad put old baitcasting reels on 'em with that black, braided line that you could get in the '40's & '50's and after a couple of years of fish slime, worm guts, grasshopper spit and mud they built up enough weight that you could cast 'em pretty fair. Actually, what we did in those little creeks could more properly be called dapping. About 6 or 7 years later, Dad got me a little 8' Phillipson on sale for about $16.00 (...or was it $11.00?) I still use it. I really wanted a Fenwick Ferullite, though, but they cost about $35.00!!! It was marked as a 7 wt. but I never learned to really cast it 'till I found out it was really a 5 wt. years later. (What was Bill thinking?) Started fishing high lakes later--in AZ that means 7000-8000 feet or so. Came north and west 27 years ago and you couldn't pry me out of here with a 4X6. Now, I only fish when I can. I make custom reel seats and like to make fly-rod-lures--bass and panfish bugs. A few copied from old patterns and many that I make up myself using a number of different materials. I actually caught a bass on one a few years ago! OK. so Hi!
J Marcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 4, 2007September 4th, 2007, 10:25 pm EDT
Hi JMarcus, dirt here. From one Washingtonian to another, welcome aboard. Believe you're referring to cuttyhunk, but regardless, your post sure brings back a lot of memories from my youth.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply