Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GaryO
Roseville, CA

GaryO on Jun 24, 2015June 24th, 2015, 4:12 pm EDT
Is Cortland 333 Classic Trout/All Purpose Fly Line an easy line to fish with? Any thoughts? What say you? Thanks...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 24, 2015June 24th, 2015, 5:31 pm EDT
I haven't used this line in years, but it was OK when I was getting started. More expensive lines such as the Scientific Anglers textured lines will shoot farther, but for short range fishing, 333 should be fine.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jun 27, 2015June 27th, 2015, 2:39 pm EDT
An emphatic NO! Unless they've changed the formula in recent years the 333 "Classic" is too supple (read wimpy) to shoot line with and makes line handling a nightmare. I tried one in the mid 90's and it hung/draped like a wet noodle in the guides and hung up there continually. It's one thing to shake/wriggle line out the guides another when the line fights you tooth and nail by clinging to the guides. Unless they've stiffened them up some -added a slicker stiffer more rigid skin- I say an emphatic, NO!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 27, 2015June 27th, 2015, 4:34 pm EDT
OK, I'll have to say if Paul says NO, I'll have to defer; you'll do much better spending a little more money for a stiffer line.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jun 29, 2015June 29th, 2015, 12:23 pm EDT
I used a 333 for several years and never experienced the difficulties mentioned above. I just bought two more new ones.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jun 29, 2015June 29th, 2015, 7:09 pm EDT
You know, after the mention of RIT dying fly-lines I wonder if I'd over-heated mine. Kind of doubt it, but it's a possibility. I know I hated that line. And, it was after 333 that the newer stiffer formulas appeared -truly an enormous advancement in fly-line technology.
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Jun 29, 2015June 29th, 2015, 7:34 pm EDT
Never have any problem with 333. DT. I would not say it is a far shooting line. But for some small stream, & brook & more. Put it this way, they have sold miles of the classic line. I also like the 444, but there are loads of great products for sale today. Whatever you get, have fun fishing.... What one may like, another may hate, & so... On!!! Same with rods, try-them till you find the one that just fits you...
Milt...
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.

Quick Reply