Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 11, 2014February 11th, 2014, 12:52 pm EST
Kyle,

Be careful that you do not get overwhelmed with all the info we are providing you with - it might drive you insane! There was a time when I was not much younger than you are that I could put all of my dry flies in one 4" x 6" Dewitt 12 compartment dry fly box - and there was extra space left over. Now I have a couple of dozen dry fly boxes and they are full.

You don't need to hit your favorite trout streams with a zillion dry flies. You know the prevalent insects on those streams so just tie a couple each of those flies and get out there and give them a whirl. I can remember back in the day before I'd even heard of a Compara-dun or knew who Marinaro was I was catching more than my share of 12" - 16" browns on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc and enough 17" - 18" fish to make it exciting for the potential of a big fish.

All I knew then were classic Catskill style, fully hackled, dry flies and guess what they did work pretty darn well. If I or anybody on this forum can tell you one thing to remember to increase your catch success with dry flies (or any fly but especially dries) is presentation, presentation, presentation! Ask Tony how I wiggle the line out through my guides and swim my fly right down into the mouth of a waiting brown. If you can put your hatch specific fly in that drift line consistently where that fish is rising so you don't line the fish or have a crappy cast you are going to catch the fish.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Feb 15, 2014February 15th, 2014, 2:55 pm EST
Kyle,

If you want to learn to tie dry flies the first thing to ask is what are you trying to tie? If you are trying to small mayflies or stoneflies they take different size hackle than Brown Drakes or March Browns.

Also, because someone says only use saddles I would not take that as the Gospel. Some prefer capes and some prefer saddles, you decide for yourself. Personally, I prefer quality capes because I don't like 8+" long feathers, but that is my personal preference from many years of tying and the habits I have developed. Others love 8" long feathers, each to their own. You decide for yourself.

It looks like you are in the Midwest so focus on learning the best patterns for the hatches you plan on fishing. Catskill patterns do work, so do Compara-duns, thorax-style patterns, parachutes, emergers, etc. I would recommend find a local TU chapter or a shop with classes and the chance to mingle with others that fish in your area. There are also some great books that can help you also that you can read online or in print. Don't just rely on any FF forum.

You can't beat your own experience and trying different things and different tying methods. There is nothing like hitting a hatch when it is on and trying your patterns and testing your presentation skills. Above all enjoy the experience and have fun!

BTW, checkout http://www.wisflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Quick Reply