Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Greglindsey
Corry. PA

Greglindsey on Jan 2, 2014January 2nd, 2014, 12:52 pm EST
I am looking for a new standard trout net that I can use in competition. If anyone has any suggestions please share.

Thanks
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 3, 2014January 3rd, 2014, 5:08 am EST
Since I have never fished competitively, are there special restrictions? Brodin is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. I have heard good things about the new Fishpond nets though.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Jan 3, 2014January 3rd, 2014, 5:43 am EST
I didn't know there was a net competition.
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Jan 3, 2014January 3rd, 2014, 5:52 am EST
I had been eyeing a Nomad net for quite some time. I finally got one after they were bought by Fishpond. They are incredibly lightweight carbon fiber nets. The hoop is 18"x13" and they use the ghost rubber netting. There are TONS of reviews on them online, so I suggest you check those out. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but I already like it better than my old wood net.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 3, 2014January 3rd, 2014, 6:49 am EST
I didn't know there was a net competition.

There is always a competition when using a net, it is a test of one's skill or ability to get the fish into the net.
I too gave up the net long ago; tiring of the back-stabbing brush-snagging culprit. And where the net could have been beneficial, the damn thing was too small. I agree with Wbranch when he says,
To do this well you need a man sized net, not one of those silly girlie nets with a ten inch hoop.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Greglindsey
Corry. PA

Greglindsey on Jan 3, 2014January 3rd, 2014, 11:26 am EST
Well first you have to hook the fish on you fly rod then you have to net the fish. After the fish is in the net you have to take it to the person who will measure the fish. So I'm not looking for a man sized net. But one that is big enough that I can net fish quickly.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 3, 2014January 3rd, 2014, 2:00 pm EST
I agree with Kyle above that you will want something light weight and the rubber style net has become popular. I have old wooden nets with the "Measure It" catch and release netting...When I purchased a replacement net last year, the guy who runs "Measure It" nets tried to talk me in to one of the rubber ones and I should of listened. I mostly fish one fly at a time, but out west this past summer I discovered that if you do fish more than one fly, the fly not in the fish invariably gets tangled in the mesh. This will slow you down. I debarb my hooks and even with the little nubbin that's left I have had to cut the tippet and leave the damn fly imbedded in the mesh.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Greglindsey
Corry. PA

Greglindsey on Jan 3, 2014January 3rd, 2014, 3:13 pm EST
I was looking at the "Frabill Competition Trout Net" but I am not sure what size to get. If you have any suggestion please share.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 4, 2014January 4th, 2014, 7:57 am EST
http://frabill.com/landing-nets/trout-nets/3605.html

Before all of you animal rights advocates started complaining I used a regular nylon net and never killed a fish.

Now, I use the rubber coated one above. It works fine for me, but I guess it's probably no good because it doesn't cost enough money.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jan 5, 2014January 5th, 2014, 3:18 am EST
Nets are a pain in the butt. Always snagging brush and my flies. Ever been hit between the shoulder blades by one? Teamed with barbed hooks, nylon nets are why many fish in our pressured streams look like MMA veterans. I love the way they swing around and pop you in the mouth with well aged fish slime every time you bend over to look at a bug. Forget the net and use your off hand... Besides, the price is right Bruce!

I do like Tenkara nets. They are unobtrusive stuck in your wading belt and are very gentle on fish. Its hoop angle allows you to stick the handle in the crotch of your knee or wader belt so you can handle the fish with both hands. Besides, when I have one of those with me I don't need to carry a bug net. He He.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 5, 2014January 5th, 2014, 5:11 pm EST
Nice points Kurt.

I once did some very serious brush busting to get to the river only to realize I'd lost my net somewhere along the way. I had to back track to find it hanging in a pine I had crashed through.

After this I bought one of those magnets with a long stretchy cord attached...When they get caught don't turn around, duck! :)

Then there was the time on the Madison in 1995 and I heard a horrible snapping noise when I sat down on the bank.

Finally...I was trespassing in a locale that I hadn't visited in a while, got off the trail, and tangled the dangling mesh in a barbed wire fence. It was summer, it was dark, I was sweating badly...I cut it free with my scissors.

Yes! Nets are a pain in the butt! :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 2:30 am EST
What is with the hate for nets?!

I can think of multiple fish I would have lost if I didn't have a net with me!

Do whatever you feel is best.
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 3:56 am EST
Perfecting the "long line release" totally eliminates the need for nets.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 4:39 am EST
I love my net. It enables me to land a fish and take pictures of it.
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 4:53 am EST
Perfecting the "long line release" totally eliminates the need for nets.

I should just return my Nomad then. I'm pretty good at long line releases. :)
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 10:10 am EST

This should read, "I love Eric's net. It enables him to land a fish for me and take pictures of me with said fish." ;)

hehehehe
Greglindsey
Corry. PA

Greglindsey on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 11:38 am EST
That's the thing you have to net the fish in competition because you are not allowed to touch the fish. Your controller will measure and release it.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 12:51 pm EST
Here's my personal favorite:

http://www.themeasurenet.com/

Not too fancy or expensive (of course coming from this budget fly-fisher), nice soft mesh, and you can measure the fish without even touching it! And replace the basket if it gets worn out. It's the one you see in all of my fish pictures. Just my 2 cents.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 1:17 pm EST

...and then you fall in! :)

Spence

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 6, 2014January 6th, 2014, 1:21 pm EST
I don't fall in, Spence. That's all part of my technique.

Quick Reply