Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 12, 2013December 12th, 2013, 10:46 am EST
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 12, 2013December 12th, 2013, 2:47 pm EST
Hi Dave-

That is an absolutely fascinating video. Thanks for sharing.

Most mayflies lay their eggs immediately after mating; the eggs then take anywhere from 10 days to many months to hatch. Cloeon cognatum is an exception. This species is ovoviviparous, which means that a mated female holds her eggs internally until embryonic development is complete (about 18 days), after which she lays them in water and they hatch immediately. This female was dropped onto the water surface moments before the video started. Video credit: David H. Funk

Incidentally, Cloeon cognatum, which has been reclassified as Cloeon dipterum, is not the only ovoviviparous N. American mayfly species, as the (11) N. American species of Callibaetis also share the trait of gravid females holding their eggs internally until embryonic development is complete.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 12, 2013December 12th, 2013, 2:57 pm EST
Wow!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 12, 2013December 12th, 2013, 4:14 pm EST
Thanks Dave! Very cool stuff. Hope you are doing well.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 12, 2013December 12th, 2013, 7:20 pm EST
Very cool. Technology is just amazing. We get to see such wondrous things.

The hatch rate was very high with those. Looked like the little ones are programmed to disperse, and presumably end up in cover along shorelines.

Thanks for that, Dave!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 12, 2013December 12th, 2013, 9:00 pm EST
Mack-

Does anybody reading along know if the time frame here is relative to all mayflies ???

I believe the only ovoviviparous N. American mayfly genera to be Callibaetis and Cloeon. Please see my post above. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 12, 2013December 12th, 2013, 9:17 pm EST
Hi Mack-

I share your excitement. It's one thing to read about, but quite another to actually see it happening in a video. As Louis said, Wow!
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Dec 13, 2013December 13th, 2013, 2:49 am EST
This video led me to another from stroud research on DR. Ruth Patrick.

Stroud is a cool place. Having spent some time there for trainings, and as a guest, I would encourage anyone who can to pay them a visit. I'm lucky it's only about an hour and a half from me. I also have some colleagues who worked there. Everyone that I have worked with has been super knowledgeable and talented individuals. Dr. David Funk is an excellent photographer and has done some really cool mayfly work. http://www.stroudcenter.org/about/funk.shtm
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 14, 2013December 14th, 2013, 5:17 am EST
Awesome video. That's the first time I've ever seen anything like it. From what I've read this is a member of the baetis family? Was this found in the US? I read that it is a UK bug. Please enlighten me.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 14, 2013December 14th, 2013, 8:32 am EST
Hi Bruce,

From what I've read this is a member of the baetis family?

It is a member of family Baetidae.

Was this found in the US? I read that it is a UK bug. Please enlighten me.

Don't know, but have emailed Dr. Funk in order to ask, and will share his response.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Dec 15, 2013December 15th, 2013, 6:32 am EST
This is the response received from Dr. David H. Funk in answer to the following question:

Was the video filmed in N. America, where my understanding is that Cloeon cognatum has been reclassified as Cloeon dipterum?

Video was shot in Pennsylvania. And yes, most people now consider cognatum a synonym of dipterum, but no one has officially sunk it and our North American populations fit the old world cognatum concept. Cloeon dipterum in the broader sense is native to Eurasia and is undoubtedly a complex of species. It is not native to North America, but probably came over on ships in the mid 20th century. I have "barcoded" our local population (using the mitochondrial COI gene) and it matches exactly a specimen collected in Bulgaria. This species is now very common in northeast North America, especially in fishless ponds.

Best regards,
Dave
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 15, 2013December 15th, 2013, 8:26 pm EST
Wow, again. Great thread.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 18, 2013December 18th, 2013, 12:19 am EST
An invasive species of mayfly? New one on me! Thanks, Roger.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Dec 22, 2013December 22nd, 2013, 7:34 am EST
maybe they'll eat the invasive species of Asian carp about to decimate great lakes fishery.......

Quick Reply